|A SquarePants Family Vacation|
|Season 8, Episode 159|
|Air date||November 11, 2011|
|Written by||Aaron Springer|
The Googly Artiste
- SpongeBob SquarePants
- Patrick Star
- Margaret SquarePants
- Harold SquarePants
- Sandy Cheeks
- Squidward Tentacles
- Sheldon J. Plankton
- Pearl Krabs
- Eugene H. Krabs
- Karen Plankton
- Larry the Lobster
- Mrs. Puff
- Giant Fruit Fly (debut)
- Officer John
- Officer Rob
- Officer Nancy
- Patty Caper
- Highway Speed Patrol
- The Road Song
- Above the Road
- Time After Time
- Conch Street
- Bikini Bottom Outskirts Outlet Megamall
- BassCar Baytona 400
- The Moon
- Unknown Forest
Everybody got invitations from SpongeBob. They go to his house to be surprised that they are going to see vacation slides (which they don't care about). The adventure starts with Patrick squirting liquid cheese fizz on the camera. SpongeBob's parents pull up and get SpongeBob and Patrick in. SpongeBob looks at a brochure and Patrick suggests a game- Hide and Seek. Patrick gets on the windshield of the car and Harold yells "Egad!!!"' and loses control. They slide and burst into The Oustskirts Outlet Mega-Mall, and Basscar Racing Stadium. Then they fling off the stadium and heads straight into space where a floating cow gets hit by them and lands on the moon. Then they fall back down to the Earth and slide down a rocky cliff onto the road. SpongeBob then suggests they sing a road song. Everyone sings the road song and at the end of the song the engine blows up. They move the car to a local service station. They wait in an outhouse. Margret sees a playground and offers SpongeBob and Patrick to play on it. They do, but they slide down a sewer pipe and onto a small puddle.
When they get up, they try to get back up, but they can't. They enter a mysterious red kelp forest with many mushrooms. They hear a hollering noise and run. It turns out its a small creature. They jump over a cliff and onto an anemone and onto a mushroom. Behind Patrick is a giant fruit fly. They run away and behind a rock. They hear a noise. It came from a gift shop. SpongeBob wastes his money on useless knicknacks. They sing the road song wearily. Then SpongeBob decides to play the road song on a flute he bought at the gift shop. They walk along past Harold and Margret and into the forest again. Animals follow them. The animals suddenly run away because the giant fruit fly is behind them. SpongeBob stops playing. When they turn around they see the fruit fly wants to give them a lift. They then sing the above the road song. He drops SpongeBob and Patrick off. SpongeBob's parents call them over but SpongeBob and Patrick just fell asleep. Margaret says "Do something Harold!" while Harold says "He's your son, Margaret, he's your son..."
- When SpongeBob says "I'm so glad you all could make it..." Mr Krabs has no legs. This is the third time Mr Krabs is seen with no legs, First is in Squirrel Jokes and second is in Dying for Pie
- The title of this episode sounds the same as the film, RV, Runaway Vacation, Rat_Race (film), and Johnson Family Vacation.
- The Road Song is a parody to the Theme song "Holiday Road" from the movie National Lampoon's Vacation.
- The DVD was released on September 20, 2011 before it aired on television one month and twenty-one days from its release.
- The original title for this was Runaway Roadtrip. The DVD cover still has it. (However it is possible that the special will have two titles as most specials do)
- When the car is sent flying into space, there is a cow jumping over the moon, which is an allusion to the nursery rhyme "The Cat and the Fiddle".
- In the episode, this is the second time Mrs. SquarePants' hair is in a bun. First was "Truth or Square".
- This is the fifth and the final of the five episode miniseries to air on Nickelodeon.
- This had a 10 hour marathon leading up to this episode starting from 7 a.m.
- After SpongeBob begins the story, everyone except he and Patrick weren't seen or mentioned again, so it's unknown if they liked the story or not after hearing it.
- This is the first time we hear Mrs. SquarePants sing.
- This episode aired on 11-11-11.
- SpongeBob's parents seem to like Patrick in this episode, as in past episodes they got annoyed by him.
- This episode could be an allusion to 1987 film, Planes, Trains and Automobiles, the 2005 film, Are We There Yet?, and the 1994 film, Dumb and Dumber.
- Baytona and Basscar are references to Daytona International Speedway and NASCAR.
- When SpongeBob and Patrick jump off the cliff, it is similar to what they did in The SpongeBob SquarePants Movie.
- The outhouse's interior resembles that of a sauna.
- SpongeBob playing the flute and causing weird animals to follow him may be a reference to the 'Pied Piper of Hamelin'.
- Even though they made small appearances, all of the main characters of the Spongebob series appears in this episode.
- This is the second episode where Patrick is mistaken as luggage.The first was in "The Great Patty Caper."
- When Patrick spelled his name "Pat" the P is backwards due to his stupidity.
- This is the second time Baytona is mentioned. The first is The Hot Shot.
- When Patrick seatbelt is on while seeing the map then tries to get out then the next scene Patrick's seatbelt disappears.
- The Road Song became a Toyota commercial, But instead of Patrick touching Mr. SquarePants' head, Spongebob did it.
- Patrick made a reference to a Movie when then jump off and then forget the second half break the fourth wall.
- The episode was promoted as "Runaway Roadtrip" in Ireland and the UK but the actual episode is still called "A Squarepants Family Vacation".
- It is revealed that Mrs. SquarePants' name is Margaret.
- This is the only double-length vacation episode.
- Patrick is seen pulling cheese spray out of his pocket but in The Card he says he doesn't believe in pockets.
- The vending machine is real.
- When Spongebob says "Patrick, where'd you get that kelp cake" the captions say "cupcake".