- 3:47 AM
- 6:48 AM: The sun comes up
Time cards shown
- 3 Hours Later
- SpongeBob SquarePants
- Squidward Tentacles
- Patrick Star
- Eugene H. Krabs
- Happy Gland
SpongeBob and Patrick are at Squidward's house to watch the sunrise with him. After Squidward finds out that SpongeBob and Patrick have snuck into his room every morning to celebrate holidays like Easter, Valentine's Day, and the Fourth of July, it is told that his brain has a storm every time Squidward sees SpongeBob. His Happy Gland is forced to find shelter in his mind's recesses. But he gets the flu due to no recess deep enough, until the two leave. Three hours later, sunrise reaches, and the camera cuts to Squidward putting an electric fence around his house to separate the two. He tricks SpongeBob and Patrick into picnicing on a catapult, which he uses to fling them out of the fence. They surprisingly return, wanting to be catapulted again, resulting in Squidward asking them to exit resulting in him touching the doorknob of his fence, being electrocuted. It turns out that Squidward's brain storm has gone away, and a rainbow replaces it, thus making Squidward nice. This continues on for the rest of the day, and even continues through the morning, such as waking SpongeBob up for work and flossing his teeth for him. At work, SpongeBob is surprised to see Squidward enter the kitchen, saying that he wanted to help SpongeBob work. SpongeBob promptly rejects this, and Squidward is called out front by Mr. Krabs. He givesSusie a free hat, then asks for free refills. This shocks Mr. Krabs, who either calls cheap food or back into the kitchen he goes. Squidward returns to the kitchen, even making a fresh batch of Krabby Patties, but SpongeBob rejects them, calling them "no good". He is stopped by Mr. Krabs when throwing them away, when he finds out Squidward has become a fry cook. Squidward says he wishes he could be employee of the month, SpongeBob already being employee of the month a gazillion times, but SpongeBob corrects him, saying a gazillion and sixtimes. Mr. Krabs then barges in and shows SpongeBob a patty with a smiley face and dimples made out of ketchup. SpongeBob says Squidward made it, and Mr. Krabs loves the design and makes Squidward employee of the month, much to SpongeBob's horror. Patrick even arrives with a cake for the employee of the month award winner, which SpongeBob erases his name on the cake and replaces it with Squidwards.
Later, a party is thrown at Patrick's house due to Squidward being the new employee of the month. SpongeBob enrages after realizing that Squidward is pogo-dancing with Patrick, and ends up yelling at him and making him exit the party. Squidward attempts to enter his house again, but like earlier, he is electrocuted due to touching the doorknob. SpongeBob and Patrick come for SpongeBob to apologize for his harsh and rude behavior to Squidward, and SpongeBob slaps Squidward's hand, leading SpongeBob to getting electrocuted. Patrick joins too, saying "he wants to dance funny". The generator explodes and Squidward is returned back to his grumpy old self, but SpongeBob and Patrick's behavior change to Squidward's usual behavior as well.
- The title is a reference to the famous saying, "A breath of fresh air." Which means after several bad events, a good event finally happens, which basically fits along the episode's plot line.
- In SpongeHenge, when Patrick shocked, he is getting angry.
- The part where Sadie talked to Susie was deleted, due to the fact that Sadie is not Susie's mother.
- This is the first time Squidward has become Employee of the Month. Usually SpongeBob is the employee of the month. It is possible that the whole episode is one of SpongeBob's nightmares.
- This episode reveals that Spongebob became employee of the month in the end of the episode Employee of the Month. The Spongebob Squarepants Movie also reveals the same thing.
- Patrick's Employee of the Month cake still entirely fixed after SpongeBob replaced his own name on the cake with Squidward's. An icing drawing of SpongeBob is still on the cake even though he wasn't the winner of the award.
- This is the second time Krabs is abusing SpongeBob. The first is in Bummer Vacation.
- On one scene where SpongeBob, Patrick and Squidward had fun together was similar on episode My Pretty Seahorse when SpongeBob and Mystery had fun.
- The smiley face Krabby Patty is a parody of the Smiley cookies at Eat'n Park, a Denny's competitor in the Pittsburgh metropolitan area.
- The Nickelodeon and DirecTV schedule calls this episode "Breath of a Fresh Squidward".
- When Squidward made the Krabby Patty with dimples, he became employee of the month on the spot.
- In the scene where both SpongeBob and Squidward were making Krabby Patties on the grill, there is another grill behind them.
- The party hat, which is yellow and pink, looks like the Beta Tester Hat from Club Penguin.
- This is the second time that SpongeBob and Patrick were Squidward. The first time was in the episode "Opposite Day". But the difference is that SpongeBob and Patrick were shocked into being Squidward after feeling the shock through Squidward. In "Opposite Day". SpongeBob and Patrick only pretend to be Squidward. SpongeBob is also Squidward again in Gone.
- Because the Fourth of July is celebrated, this means Bikini Bottom is part of the United States.
- Previously, in Employee of the Month, Squidward competed with SpongeBob to win the coveted title. However, it was unknown who won. This time, he earns it without even trying.
- SpongeBob shows some audacity in bossing Squidward around in someone else's home (Patrick's). In telling Squidward he was not allowed to pogo with Patrick, he was more or less telling Patrick what he could and couldn't do in his own home.
- Squidward also made poles in Once Bitten.
- This is the first episode where it shows that Squidward can actually cook Krabby Patties. The second will be in The Good Krabby Name.
- SpongeBob could've been kicked out of the party for being harsh to Squidward.
- A recent airing of this episodes was briefly interrupted by a rat playing basketball.
- The bathroom for boys was spelled "Buoys". This could also be a pun on the flotation devices.
- When the new Squidward showed SpongeBob the Krabby Patties he made, SpongeBob tells him that it takes years to practice. But revealed in Friend or Foe?, SpongeBob made a perfect patty on his first try, meaning he probably just made it up so Squidward would not work as another fry cook.
- In this episode, we learn that SpongeBob has been Employee of the month a gazillion and six times. A gazillion and six would make him a thousand years old and sponges can only live to be 500, so the Krusty Krab must have Employee of the Month awards more than 1 days in a month. And there was really 42 pictures of SpongeBob. Meaning it was an exaggeration or there are more pictures somewhere else.
- Even though it appeared that Squidward won the Employee of the Month for the 1st time. He probably won it in the Jim era since he was also happy then.
- When Squidward has an electric shock, the gate's door is open. But when the new Squidward is sad and is going home, the door is closed.
- When SpongeBob is eating cake, the hat he is wearing changes stripe colors. First it is red on the bottom, then it is white.
- At the end of the episode, when SpongeBob and Patrick were electrocuted to become cranky and grumpy as Squidward,their eyes, nose adapted to Squidward's face, but when Squidward became the new Squidward, his face did not change the shape of spongebob and / or Patrick.
APM Music Identification
- Comic Walk - #1: Squidward gradually gets mad at SpongeBob and Patrick.
- William Tell Overture - The sun rises outside Squidward's house.
- Wooden Bear - #1: SpongeBob & Patrick are catapulted out of the electric fence.
- Wooden Bear - #2: SpongeBob & Patrick fly back down.
- Tomfoolery - "Do they have cute seahorses there?"
- Boy Scout - Squidward comforts SpongeBob.
- Spring Cleaning - Squidward annoys customers.
- Dramatic Impact 3 - "FREE?!"
- The Tip Top Polka/Cliff Polka - Mr. Krabs talks to Squidward.
- Comic Walk - #2: "Wow, SpongeBob, you've been Employee of the Month a gazillion times."
- Drama Link (d) - "Aaah! Dimples?! It was him! New Squidward did it!"
- Blaze of Brass (d) - "You're me new employee of the month!"
- Saxaboogie - #1: Party at Patrick's house.
- Fates - "Maybe you can take my job and maybe you can take my place on the 'Employee of the Month Wall of Fame' but nobody, AND I MEAN NOOO-BODY, pogo-dances with that guy BUT ME!! Now, do yourself a big fat favour and GET OUT, BUB!!"
- Saxaboogie - #2: Squidward leaves the party, depressed.