- Gary the Snail
- SpongeBob SquarePants
- Patrick Star
- Rex (debut)
- Larry the Snail (debut)
- Jerry (debut)
- Squidward Tentacles (mentioned)
- King Neptune (mentioned)
SpongeBob introduces Gary to Patrick by playing tag, and they decide to have a sleep-over together. The next morning, Gary doesn't want to leave Patrick, who concludes that Gary wants to be with him and claims him as his own pet. SpongeBob is heartbroken, and out of jealousy attempts to find a new pet to show to Gary that he doesn't need him. At first, he gets Rex, a worm, who immediately abandons him and leaves on a bus. Next, he gets Larry, a wild snail who acts viciously hostile toward him.
Later, Patrick and Gary come to SpongeBob's house to do his laundry, and Gary crawls into the washing machine after Patrick's pants. SpongeBob inspects this and realizes that Gary only wanted the cookie in Patrick's pocket. As SpongeBob and Gary, now reunited, go outside for a walk, a heartbroken and defeated Patrick stares after them and shouts, "Gary? I thought what we had was special!" Patrick is heartbroken.
- This is the second time SpongeBob is seen in his bathrobe. The first time was in "Jellyfish Jam."
- When SpongeBob carries Gary away from Patrick, it zooms in on Gary, and his sleeve turns golden yellow.
- When SpongeBob gets Lary, he states that Gary's name "will not be mentioned in this household". Quickly after telling him this, SpongeBob mentions Gary's name.
- By the end, it's revealed that Gary just wanted a cookie in Patrick's pants pocket all along. However, throughout the episode, Gary makes no effort to reach his pocket until the very end.
- It is unknown whatever happened to Larry the snail.
- When SpongeBob's alarm goes off, he doesn't press the button to make it stop, the alarm stops by itself.