|Season 8, Episode 162|
|Air date||October 21, 2011|
|Written by|| Luke Brookshier|
Mr. Krabs Takes a Vacation
Mermaid Man Begins
- Patrick Star
- Squidward Tentacles
- Sandy Cheeks
- Eugene H. Krabs
- Lord Poltergeist (debut)
- First Mate Ghoul (debut)
- Second Mate Ghoul (debut)
- Third Mate Ghoul (debut)
- Cat of Nine Tails (debut)
- Nat Peterson
- Flying Dutchman
- Talking Donut (debut)
- Bikini Bottomites
- Giant Demonic SpongeBob (debut)
- Gary the Snail (brief cameo in song)
- Anchovies (on pizza)
- Frank Fishbowl
- Later in the Void
- We're the Ghouls of the Briny Deep
- Ghoul Fools!
- Horror. (Playing the credits)
SpongeBob and Patrick are lying on the ground watching the clouds until they see a haunted house boat. Patrick wants to check it out so the buddies do. Patrick thinks the boat is lame, but SpongeBob thinks it’s real. Then, they meet Lord Poltergeist who sings a sea shanty by Patrick's request. SpongeBob asks why Lord Poltergeist is in Bikini Bottom and it is because there's a broken head gasket. Lord Poltergeist takes their souls, but gives SpongeBob a doubloon to buy a new head gasket in 24 hours. SpongeBob and Patrick run to the Krusty Krab and tell the customers about the ghosts. The customers run away and Mr. Krabs wants to know what's with the chaos. SpongeBob tells him about Lord Poltergeist and how he stole their souls, but gave them a doubloon. Added by Margarita123Mr. Krabs takes the doubloon and takes a head gasket from a car. Sandy then appears with ghost equipment, claiming she was looking for "milkshake gremlins" and wants to catch some ghosts. The five go back to the boat where Mr. Krabs steals the doubloons and hands bags to Squidward and Patrick. Lord Poltergeist appears and SpongeBob gives him the head gasket. The lord gives SpongeBob and Patrick orange soda instead of their souls and sucks Mr. Krabs, Squidward and Patrick into the void and shows them their greatest fears. First, Mr. Krabs has to use the restroom and finds a portable bathroom, but to use it, he must pay one doubloon. Next, Patrick wishes for a doughnut and then a talking one comes and Patrick annoys him. He wishes for a donut with sprinkles, then chocolate, then a bagel, then a stack of pancakes, oblivious to the fact that he had outsmarted his worst nightmare, something Lord Poltergeist intended to be impossible. He then asks for a Krabby Patty, and then another plain donut, much to the donut's annoyance. Finally, Squidward encounters a giant SpongeBob which makes him scream. Sandy sucks the three back into her equipment. Then, Mr. Krabs and Lord Poltergeist fight for the doubloons. SpongeBob catches it and realizes it belongs to the Flying Dutchman. The Flying Dutchman comes by to reclaim his doubloons. Lord Poltergeist runs away until the boat breaks down. Finally, the Flying Dutchman turns into a torpedo that makes a void. The episode finishes with the Krusty Krab in the void with new workers and customers. When SpongeBob tells everyone to hold on to something, he tells Giant Demonic Spongebob from Lord Poltergeist's void to flip the restaurant. He does so, and then his face turns into The Flying Dutchman's and he laughs evilly.
- It is the show's third official Halloween episode (the first was Season 1's Scaredy Pants),(second was I was a Teenage Gary), despite the fact that this episode does not take place on Halloween.
- All main characters are present in this episode, excluding Plankton.
- The ghosts in this episode are cheaper than Mr. Krabs' fat stomach.
- This episode marks the fourth appearance, if a parody, of the famous painting "American Gothic". The first was in Artist Unknown, the second was in Atlantis SquarePantis, and the third was The Googly Artiste.
- This is the second time someone called Sandy "Chipmunk", the first time being in Someone's in the Kitchen with Sandy.
- This is the fourth episode to show an atomic explosion, the first being Dying for Pie, the second being The Krusty Plate, and the third being Frozen Face-Off.
- This is the first episode of the series since One Krab's Trash with the 1986 Paramount logo, but with the 2010 Viacom byline.
- This is the second time a donut talks, the first instance in The Donut of Shame.
- This is the fourth time Mr. Krabs appears as a real crab; his other appearances as a real crab includePressure, Wishing You Well, and Rodeo Daze.
- When Patrick calls Lord Poltergeist "a singing robotic puppet" from "those pizza joints with the singing puppets", he is referring to Chuck E. Cheese's restaurants.
- Lord Poltergeist's name was never said in the episode, but it was revealed in the end credits.
- Gary makes a cameo during the song.
- Squidward breaks the 4th wall by saying "I guess this is the part where I start screaming."
- This is the second episode where a ghost calls Patrick "Pink One" and SpongeBob "Square One". The first was Shanghaied.
- Lord Poltergeist's calendar only has 6 days per week instead of seven, henceforth Halloween is on aMonday, just like in 2011, however the 21st (the day the episode premiered) is on a Tuesday instead of aFriday.
- The Ghoul working the engine room was the only one of Lord Poltergeist's crew members who talked after singing the song.
- At the end, when the skeleton walks in, Lord Poltergeist says, "Welcome to the Krusted Krab", instead of Krusty Krab.
- The Cat o' Nine Tails (a cat with 9 tails mentioned in the song) is named after the punishment device called the "cat o' nine tails".