Time Cards Shown
4 to 6 weeks later
- SpongeBob SquarePants
- Squidward Tentacles
- Patrick Star
- Horace B. Magic
- Nat Peterson
- Martha Smith
- Dennis (citizen)
- Tom Smith
- Medley Fishbowl (2 cameos)
- Monroe Timmy
- Lifeguard fish
- Frank (muscular goldfish)
SpongeBob sees a commercial about buying Mr. Magic's magical magic set and decides to order it, and he places the envelope into the mailbox. Four to six weeks later, the mailman puts the magic kit in SpongeBob´s mailbox. Meanwhile Squidward is sunbathing and SpongeBob wants to do a card trick for him. While SpongeBob is busy reading the magic book, Squidward gets into a bus and tells the driver to take him anywhere far away from his house. Then Tom and his son drive by. The son is upset because he got pistachio ice cream, but his father can't understand why since that's the flavor he asked for. The ice cream cone is tossed out of the car and lands in Squidward´s chair. The ice cream melted into the shape of Squidward's head.
SpongeBob stops reading the magic book, sees the ice cream cone and comes to the conclusion that he turned Squidward into that ice cream cone! At first he is delighted at the thought that he is a level ten magician, but after some unsuccessful attempts at changing "Squidward" back, he becomes worried. So he puts the "Squidward" cone in the freezer and puts a strawberry cone in too so he'll have company. Then Patrick arrives and while SpongeBob is explaining the situation, Patrick is eating the "Squidward" ice cream cone. Aghast, SpongeBob stops him and they go to see Mr. Magic (the maker of the magic set SpongeBob bought). SpongeBob follows a checker-tiled road to a magic castle and tells the floating fish head (fake Mr. Magic) what he did, and while Mr. Magic is making excuses about why he can't help him, Patrick discovers a fish talking through a microphone. The fish says he can't do magic and only made the kits to earn money. Then SpongeBob becomes hysterical over that he was a fake and Mr. Magic calls security and he and Patrick are thrown out. They return home where SpongeBob is again hysterical over what has just happened. In despair, SpongeBob starts to shout magic words and as he does, Squidward comes home and tosses the melted ice cream away. SpongeBob opens his eyes and, seeing Squidward standing there, believes he has successfully changed him back. He then asks to turn Squidward into something else. Squidward runs away and hops onto a fish's motorcycle. Patrick asks SpongeBob to turn him into a jar of mayonnaise so he can eat himself, and amazingly, it works!
- SpongeBob and Patrick visit Mr. Magic, spoofing the 1939 film The Wizard of Oz.
- When Spongebob opens the box with the magic supplies, he takes out the beard and exclaims, "Beard of Rasputin" This is a reference to Grigori Rasputin, the advisor to the Russian crown who had claimed to be a magician.
- It is revealed the short blue fish with a red swimming suit's name is Charlie.
- When the ice cream was melting, it was similar to Squidward's sculpture in "Squidward the Unfriendly Ghost".
- It is revealed that Tom has a son, the same boy who was called "Timmy" in "SquidBob TentaclePants".
- When the "tough fish" slid on the pistachio, SpongeBob got it and put the pistachio back together to get the foot trail away. In the following scene, the pistachio still has the foot trail.
- When SpongeBob put the pink ice cream in with the pistachio, you can see it has a foot trail to the right, but when Patrick takes it out, it goes to the left.
- When Patrick finds the curtain leading to Horace, there is a piece of wood sticking out through the curtain that leads Patrick to open the curtain. However, once the curtain is opened, the elongated piece of wood disappears.
- This is the first title card to have the song sparkle joy without Mr. Krabs or Pearl. Back to the Past is the next. This version is off key, though.
- When security throws Spongebob and Patrack out of Mr. Magic's palace, the Brown Tile Road turns into pavement.
- The Checker Brick Road is most likely referring to the Yellow Brick Road in The Wizard of Oz.
- In Brazil, this episode is called "Conversa Fiada", meaning "Idle Talk". Perhaps one of the names that is more differentiated of the English name.
- When Horace B. Magic says "Pay no attention to the man behind the curtain" is a quote from The Wizard Of Oz.
- The all-seeing eye is on the doors of mr.magic's castle also in the interior which is another illuminati refrence
- Mr. Magic sounds similar to Professor Membrane from Invader ZIM, most likely because Rodger Bumpass voices both characters.
- When Spongebob slams the magic kit over his head while exclaiming,"What have I done?", it is similar to the scene in The Wizard Of Oz when Dorothy taps her heels and says,"There's no place like home."
- When Spongebob checking out the Magic Kit, This scene his socks are missing.
APM Music Identification
- Hawaiian Joy - Title Card
- You're Nice - SpongeBob makes popcorn.
- Slippery Sid - Monroe and Tom are driving past SpongeBob
- Dramatic Cue E - "SQUIDWARD! My simple card playing trick ad turned you into an Ice Cream Cone!"
- Drama Link E - SpongeBob tries to say a magic word.
- Rescue - SpongeBob sees the Ice Cream melting.
- Dramatic Cue D - Patrick eats the Ice cream.
- Dramatic Cue H - SpongeBob screams.
- Dramaric Cue F - Squidward is melted.
- Theme from the Hanged Man - Music playing on the television.
- Furtive footsteps–Spongebob and Patrick visit Mr.Magic.