Notice: this page uses content stolen from Encyclopedia SpongeBobia
|Uh-oh! It looks like this article is Stolen!|
this page uses content stolen from Encyclopedia SpongeBobia.
- SpongeBob SquarePants
- Patrick Star
- Mr. Krabs
- Squidward Tentacles
- Pearl Krabs
- Customers at Krusty Krab
- Gary (voice only)
Mr. Krabs rushes to the Krusty Krab shouting like a maniac, telling of the return of the hooks. SpongeBob is confused, and Mr. Krabs tells him that he has to be careful when near a hook, or he will be brought up to the surface and eaten or sold at a gift shop. Patrick shows up, saying that the carnival has come to town and insisting that SpongeBob come with him but SpongeBob is yet to know Patrick is referring to the hooks as the Carnival. He agrees, assuming that he's not quitting work but just taking a break. Much to SpongeBob's horror, the "carnival" is really the site of the hooks to Mr. Krabs warned everyone about. Patrick deliberately hooks himself, and shoots up towards the surface on it. SpongeBob panics, wails, and cries, until he sees Patrick again, who explains that he jumped off and floated down before he reached the surface of the sea. SpongeBob and Patrick continue to ride the hooks until Mr. Krabs catches them when Squidward tells him that SpongeBob took a break, and is not back yet, and makes them promise to never go near the hooks again. However, the next day, Patrick persuades SpongeBob to play "hooky" again. SpongeBob denies the request but when he gets near a hook he first looks very sneaky and almost touches the hook, but then realizes he is doing the wrong thing and walks away like nothing happened. However, SpongeBob comes back and plays on the hook, and then...
SpongeBob gets caught on the hook, and, terrified, runs to the Krusty Krab for help. Mr. Krabs tells SpongeBob that the only way to get the hook off is to take off his clothes right in front of Pearl and her friends. He first take off his pants, revealing his underwear. Peal's friends laugh. Squidward some how hooked Spongebob just so he was naked. SpongeBob gets so upset that he cries out loud and runs back to his house and destroyed forever after the siege of the Krusty Krab. It is then revealed that Squidward hooked SpongeBob to teach him a lesson, both Squidward and Mr. Krabs laugh. Meanwhile, Patrick is dropped off by a bus, also destroyed forever and trapped in a tuna can. He asks "Does somebody have a can opener?" and the episode ends.
- Hooky is a term for truancy.
- The title card music is the same as Culture Shock.
- This episode is number 7 on Tom Kenny's Top 20 on iTunes. His description says: *"SpongeBob and Patrick as 'rebels without a cause' (or a brain), riding fishermen's hooks and jumping off just before being yanked ashore. This episode inspired the song 'Riding the Hook' on 'The Best Day Ever' CD, with legendary punk rocker Tommy Ramone playing drums!"
- While promoting The Adventures of Jimmy Neutron, the title character of that show appeared in the lower-right hand corner on the day of its première, and using one of his inventions temporarily transformed the cartoon into a puppet show during the scene where Mr. Krabs is making SpongeBob and Patrick recite an oath he is giving.
- There is a plug and play tv game of SpongeBob Games by Jakks Pacific and there is a game based on this. In it, SpongeBob must protect everyone else, even Plankton from the hooks. Many players are fooled by Plankton's appearance and let him get hooked, which causes a game over.
- This is one of the few occasions that SpongeBob acknowledges Patrick's stupidity. When Patrick asks "Are you gonna listen to a big dummy, or are you gonna listen to me?" SpongeBob weakly replies "Ummmm....".
- Mr Krabs says that nobody has taken a break at the Krusty Krab since the "Chum Famine of '59", but SpongeBob has taken a break in "F.U.N." and many future episodes, and Squidward even went on vacation in "Squeaky Boots".
- The music playing during one scene is actually from a short segment of Flubber.
- This is Patrick's last appearance with 3's for eyebrows. In season 2 and on, they are z's. But in Big Pink Loser, they are 3's. It is from season 2.
- When SpongeBob fruit snacks first came out, an advertisement for them featured the snacks acting out a part of this episode along with scenes from episodes of other Nicktoons.
- Though Spongebob, when hooked by Squidward, was being dragged away from the Krusty Krab, Squidward was standing in the Krusty Krab.
- The first airing had a fishes shoes being strung up.
- When Spongebob splats into the Krusty Krab doors his crotch is covered by one of the tables.
- When Tom was at the register saying, "Can I get that to go?", he walks into the wall.
- When Mr. Krabs says "Squidward" Squidward moves his lips to what Mr Krabs said.
- When Spongebob is naked, one of Pearl's friends looks disgusted and doesn't say anything or laugh.
- Underwater, there are lots of hooks that are very close together, but when Spongebob and Patrick ride one of them like a horse and start getting reeled in, there is only one boat with one fishing line.
- Squidward's hooking fish string was small in the end, and the end of the fishing stick is at the Krusty Krab. When SpongeBob was attached to it, the string was massively long, and the fishing stick ended to the top of the ocean.
- SpongeBob says that he always goes to work the way leading to Squidward's and Patrick's houses. In most of the other episodes, he is seen going to work the other way.
- Patrick is seen jumping of a Hook even though in Glove World R.I.P. he says he is allergic to jumping down.
APM music indentification
- Honolulu March - (Honolulu Revivalists version) Title card; (George Kulokahai and His Island Serenaders version) "Okay, Gary, today is a new day. I'm ready to prove myself loyal to Mr. Krabs."
- The Achterhoek Dances - (4th dance) - "Fishermen have an effect on our undersea friends."; (1st dance) The customers complain about Squidward's food.
- Death Trap - "They're back! They're back I tell ya!"; SpongeBob warns Patrick about the hooks; "The hooks! No, no, no!"
- Dangerous A - Mr. Krabs warns SpongeBob all about the hooks.;SpongeBob and Patrick ride a hook (music stops when they float back down)
- Tales from the Swamp (a) - "Gift shops!"
- The Rake Hornpipe - "Good morning, Krusty Krew."
- The Great White - "The carnival is back in town!"
- Cierre Bob Esponja - "Hmmmm, I sense no danger here."
- Unpreventable - Patrick gets pulled higher by a hook
- Hawaiian Link B - "This is more fun than double overtime at the Krusty Krab!"
- What Shall We Do with the Drunken Sailor - "All right, SpongeBob LazyPants!"
- Woe is Me! - "Boys! I wasn't quick enough."
- Point of Departure O - "And do you know what happens when you DON'T float back down?!"
- Point of Departure M - Mr. Krabs warns Patrick and SpongeBob about the tuna can and it's essential "Mayo".
- Blow the Man Down (b) - Mr. Krabs makes Patrick and SpongeBob promise never to go near the hooks again.
- Seaweed - "We're gonna go play HOOKY!"
- Static Time - (SpongeBob gasps) "HOOK!!!"
- Vibe Link B - SpongeBob smiles and almost touches the point of a hook.
- Fates - "Oh no! Mr. Krabs told me all about you. You are a liar. A deceiver. I'll never fall for your tricks again. Never!"
- Dramatic Encounter - (SpongeBob gasps) "I'm hooked"
- House of Horror - SpongeBob pictures himself in a tuna can
- Shark Attack A - SpongeBob runs to the Krusty Krab
- The Tip Top Polka/Cliff Polka - Mr. Krabs gives Pearl and her friends free glasses of water.
- Botany Bay (b) - SpongeBob confesses.
- Point of Departure U - SpongeBob gets pulled higher by a hook
- On the Beach - The ending.