In this episode, SpongeBob tries to impress Mrs. Puff by memorizing the history of boating.
Time \ Date:
- Before December 14, 2003
Time cards shown:
- 7:59 AM
The episode starts with SpongeBob and his class at Mrs. Puff's Boating School. While everyone is bored hoping for class to end as she is talking about steering, SpongeBob is taking notes in an excited personality. When class ends, Mrs. Puff reminds the class that they are going on a field trip to the Bikini Bottom Museum of Boating tomorrow and the bus will pick them up at 8:00 AM. When SpongeBob realizes that this is finally his chance to impress Mrs. Puff and get his driver's license, he reads a 7,400 page book called "The History of All Boating Ever". When SpongeBob finishes the book at 7:59 AM on the next day, he ends up falling asleep when he realizes that tomorrow is today and he's going to be late for the bus!
He races it once it leaves his house. Mrs. Puff not wanting to deal with SpongeBob's misbehavior, tells Peterson, the bus driver, to speed up. But SpongeBob suddenly comes in through the window. While SpongeBob begins talking to Mrs. Puff, she realizes SpongeBob's bad smell and gives him a "Shower in a Can". SpongeBob then starts talking about the trivia of boating, which starts to give Mrs. Puff a headache. So, when the class finally arrives at the museum, SpongeBob is paying no attention as he is still talking about boating to Mrs. Puff and crashes into the front window and gets converted into a puddle outside the bus door, he then is back up again when he sees the museum in front of him.
Mrs. Puff explains it was the largest boat ever that is now converted into a museum and can no longer be operated unless it goes to its yearly check at port. Throughout the day, SpongeBob keeps interrupting Mrs. Puff to tell the students what she's about to say, much to her chagrin. Right when the class is about to leave, Mrs. Puff notices that SpongeBob has gone missing, it turns out that he was in the driving room of the boat! He turns on the air conditioners on very high without noticing, which accidentally starts the boat! When Mrs. Puff finds SpongeBob as she came back into the museum, she tries to stop the boat when she noticed it has been started boating (SpongeBob thought it was a projection screen), but she's never driven any boat so advanced before! So when she notices that the boat is going to crash into Bikini Bottom after SpongeBob turns the boat on Turbo Speed, SpongeBob tries to stop the boat by batttening down the hatches, lowering the anchor, uttering a hearty seaman's laugh, and doing the reverse 720 tailspin (which has never sucessfully been done before). And right when the boat is about to destroy Bikini Bottom, it stops, only tapping the first building. When Mrs. Puff and SpongeBob leave the boat, Mrs. Puff gives SpongeBob his driver's license due to her impression.
But she is outraged when she finds out that the museum owner was simply taking the boat into Bikini Bottom for a checkup at port and that he was doing all of the driving. (But he was never there earlier. Maybe he was faking it.) So she tears up SpongeBob's driver's license. When the three are about to go have ice cream, SpongeBob notices that the headlights of the boat are still on. So as the museum owner and Mrs. Puff tell SpongeBob not to touch anything, he flips the boat on the two as Mrs. Puff inflates once again saying "Good thing you studied".
- This is the fifth episode where Patrick, Squidward, Sandy, and Mr. Krabs are all absent. The first was Walking Small, the second was Mermaidman and Barnacleboy II, the third was No Free Rides, , and the fourth was BlackJack.
- 54th time Patrick doesnt appear.
- The Bikini Bottom Museum of Boating may be a reference to the USS Midway Museum in San Diego, CA as both feature every display on a large ship.
- There are krabs on the title card even though Mr. Krabs isn't in the episode.
- A segment of this episode was featured on the commercial for SpongeBob's Gimme 5 week, but it didn't air during that time.
- This episode aired with Spongicus, but pairs with Penny Foolish which has the same title card music.
- If you look closely to the title card background of this episode, you can see the difference of the episode "Krusty Love" which means this background has five more crabs in it cotaining up to eight crabs instead of three. Also the color of it is blue instead of red.
- In the German version of this episode, the episode is called Das Bootskundemuseum, which means "The Boat Museum".
- Third time crabs appear in a title card. Shell of a Man, Krusty Love, Grandpappy The Pirate are the others.
- Nat looked slightly different in this episode, as since his back fin looked different and he was also wearing a shirt.
- This is the third time they showed SpongeBob's library in the series. The other episodes are Boating School,Something Smells, The Thing, Grooming Gary and A Pal for Gary
- The fish that was tugging the boat was in front of the boat. When the camera zoomed out he wasn't there. You couldn't really tell if that was SpongeBob who made the museum flip onto him. In fact, it seemed like he was going to take the museum to port when it got to Bikini Bottom.
- The episode's title refers to the dialogue line in the song "If nautical nonsense be something you wish". The words "Nautical Nonsense" is changed to Nautical Novice.
- The license that Mrs. Puff gives SpongeBob says it expires on December 14, 2003. It is the same one fromSleepy Time.
- The license that Mrs. Puff gives SpongeBob says that SpongeBob has yellow hair. Even though SpongeBob does not have hair at all, but in The Smoking Peanut, he tells Sandy Cheeks that he needs to get a haircut. SpongeBobs has one hair as seen in Krusty Krab Training Video. SpongeBob combs and dries his hair inThe Sponge Who Could Fly. He also had lots of brown hair in SpongeHenge.
- SpongeBob really was driving because the tugboat was never there before and the engines and everything else were on, and also everything started moving when SpongeBob was using the controls. The tugboat guy might be a part of the organization that makes sure SpongeBob stays out of boats all together.
- When the camera shows a close-up of the history book, SpongeBob's legs are missing.
- The music that plays during the boat museum montage is the theme song from the 1950s British radio sitcom, The Navy Lark.
- The time card 7:59 AM is same as the title card for Wormy.
- This Is The 200th single episode.
- Its inferred this episode that SpongeBob knows even more about boating than Mrs. Puff, which might explain how he got a job as a boating instructor for the summer in Summer Job.
- When SpongeBob stops the museum, it shows that the bow on the boat lightly taps the first building. But later, when it shows the tugboat guy, it shows in the background that he isn't even near the city, which wouldn't give him enough room to be there anyway.
- This is the second time when something non-vehicle based shaped like a boat can actually be driven. The first one was Wormy, where the boat with the cash register can be driven.
- Normally, a key turns right, but this turns left.
- When the kids and Mrs. Puff get out of the bus and the camera is on them going to the Boating Museum, Mrs. Puff looks bigger than she should be. The kids also step faster than normal, as shown by their legs, and Mrs. Puff steps normally.
- Spongebob thinks that "A/C" means "Automatic Conditionata", and thinks that "Turbo Speed" stops boats.
- When SpongeBob goes to get the anchor unstuck, he pulls on it, rather than simply lifting it off the boat.
- When SpongeBob and Mrs. Puff see the tugboat guy, the headlights are off. When SpongeBob looks back at the boat, the headlights are suddenly on.
- The beginning of The Complete History of Boating EVER, "In the beginning, Neptune created the sail" is a parody of the beginning of the Holy Bible, "In the beginning, God created the heavens and the earth"
- This is the third time SpongeBob's driver's license is seen. The first is No Free Rides while the second is Gone.
- SpongeBob looks like a pirate in this episode then he wears the captain's hat but he's not wearing an eye patch. He also looked like a pirate with Mr. Krabs and Patrick in Arrgh! and with Patrick in The Wreck of the Mauna Loa.