- SpongeBob SquarePants
- Patrick Star
- Squidward Tentacles
- Sandy Cheeks
- Sheldon J. Plankton (speaking cameo)
SpongeBob and Patrick are having fun at Jellyfish Fields. Patrick accidentally falls down a cliff and loses his head. SpongeBob accidentally picks up a piece of Brain Coral and puts it on what is left of Patrick's head, from which Patrick suddenly gains intelligence. Patrick seems to be interested in nature, work and almost any music when he is intelligent. He loses interest in all the things he and SpongeBob enjoyed, and actually has fun with Squidward and Sandy, until driving them both away with his patronizing attitude (he tells Squidward to find himself a new musical mentor and tells Sandy that she does not have the ability to solve "remedial" equations, causing Sandy to shout "I liked you better when you were a barnacle head!"). Since he is too hard even for them, Patrick wants to have fun with SpongeBob again. He tries many solutions to solve his problem, such as comparing himself with SpongeBob, meditating, doing research on Squidward, reading books about smarts, and even growing hair, but none of these things work. Eventually he kidnaps SpongeBob and tries doing all the activities he used to do. When this doesn't work, he tries to redo his actions by falling off the cliff again. Patrick comes back with a headless body again, and SpongeBob puts on Patrick's original head, which makes him dumb again.
- The episode is similar in plot to the novel Flowers for Algernon in which the protagonist gains intelligence quickly but then wishes it gone because of the way others see him.
- Squidward plays a song that Patrick identifies to be titled Cornelius Pufferfish's Opus 67 "Symphony In Blue" - a possible reference to a song of the same name on Kate Bush's album Lionheart. It could also be a reference to George Gershwin's Rhapsody in Blue.
- The first thing Patrick says after having his brain connected is, "I find all this laughter highly illogical," a tribute to Spock's famous phrase on the original Star Trek series (which Paramount also did).
- The notebook that Patrick had to draw a jellyfish resembled the one of Leonardo Da Vinci.
- The scene when Patrick falls from a cliff is just like the Wile E. Coyote and Road Runner cartoons.
- One of the pictures on Patrick's Jellyfish book has the Space Mountain Mission 2 Dome.
- This is the third time Plankton appears without Mr. Krabs. The first time was Walking Small, the second wasMermaid Man and Barnacle Boy 4, the fourth time was Krabby Road the fifth was Single Cell Anniversary, the sixth will be That Sinking Feeling, and the seventh was Squidward's School For Grown-Ups..
- When this episode was shown during the first few times, it had scrolling captions. This was later changed.
- The title card is identical to "Dumped" and the "A Few Inches Later" time card from "Shanghaied."
- This episode's working title is "Abracamoron."
- Patrick SmartPants and the one it pairs, SquidBob TentaclePants, are both puns of the main character name "SpongeBob SquarePants..
- This episode was one of the episodes that was originally supposed to air during Season 3, but didn't and got remade. The other episodes were Krusty Towers, Mermaid Man & Barnacle Boy VI: The Motion Picture, The Lost Mattress, and Whale of a Birthday.
- It is revealed that Sandy's real name is Sandra.
- Title card music is the same as "Ripped Pants" and "Idiot Box".
- When Patrick is running away from SpongeBob, his mouth moves like he is laughing but there's no sound.
- This is the first time Patrick uses big words for most of the episode. The second will be in Squidward's School For Grown-Ups.
APM Music Identification
- Dramatic Cue B - Patrick wanders off a Danger Cliff
- Drama Link D - "PATRICK!!"
- Dramatic Cue C - SpongeBob tries to help Patrick
- Frankenstein's Niece A - Smart Patrick studies an amazing sub-species
- Wooden Bear - Patrick explains music to Squidward and SpongeBob.
- Kamakani B - Both look at there memory books.
- They're Coming! - Patrick tries to do something to have SpongeBob back
- Dramatic Impact 3 - Patrick kidnaps SpongeBob
- APM Music Soundtrack coming soon - [jumps out of the net and writes "Yippie" in the air with bubble soap]
- APM Music Soundtrack coming soon - SpongeBob and Patrick having fun
- Dramatic Cue D - Patrick duplicates his actions to get his head back
- Dramatic Cue A - "Hold on, Buddy!"
- Furtive Footsteps -
- Dramatic Climax - "Patrick? Say something!" *Honolulu March - "Patrick, you're back!"