Sandy is a squirrel and is SpongeBob and Patrick's best friend. Sandy is notable for her Texan characteristics and knowledge of Karate and science. As revealed in the episode Patrick SmartPants, and the SpongeBob special Atlantis SquarePantis, Sandy's full forename is "Sandra", Sandy just being a nickname.
Sandy comes from the state of Texas, she was actually born in Houston, Texas but she exhibits many characteristics of a stereotypical "cowgirl" character by going to every city in Texas. She speaks with a heavy southern accent, and uses typical southern slang words and phrases. She is very fond of her homeland and its culture, as most notably seen in the episode "Texas", in which she grows homesick for it and considers leaving Bikini Bottom to return to Texas. In that same episode, she takes great offense at SpongeBob and Patrick's negative remarks about Texas, and violently attacks them when they continue to insult it.
Sandy is one of the most intelligent and level-headed characters on the show. She is a multi-talented scientist and inventor, and originally came to Bikini Bottom to study sea creatures and their lifestyles. In "Chimps Ahoy", it is revealed that she is employed by a trio of chimpanzees from the surface, named Professor Percy, Dr. Marmalade, and Lord Reginald. As an inventor, Sandy is capable of creating extremely advanced devices with ease. Her inventions include a manned space ship, a teleporter, asubmarine that can shrink to microscopic size and go inside a person's body (Squidward the octopus'), and even a cloning device.
Sandy is also very athletic and physically fit. She and SpongeBob share a favorite pastime of Karate, and frequently fight each other for fun. The karate they use appears to be stylized to fit that of "play karate", as they both mainly fight with chops and kicks in a cartoonish manner. There also appears to be other forms of fighting in the series, most notably in Karate Island, where three other fish demonstrate unique fighting styles, (which looks more like stylized versions of Kung Fu rather than Karate.)
Sandy also enjoys extreme sports and thrill-seeking, which SpongeBob also joins her in on the occasion, most notably in "Prehibernation Week". Sandy possesses immense strength, and is one of the strongest creatures in Bikini Bottom. She is often seen at Mussel Beach lifting weights with Larry the Lobster, of whom she is a good friend, and other muscular fish. In "MuscleBob BuffPants," Sandy shows SpongeBob her immense biceps and an intense daily exercise routine. In that same episode, she wins the eighth annual Goo Lagoon anchor toss competition, tossing an enormous anchor 510 yards. SpongeBob lost due to the Anchor Arms and unable to lift the anchor.
While generally friendly and positive, Sandy is prone to mood swings and can be vicious when she is angry, most notably in "Texas". In "Pre-Hibernation Week," when she believes SpongeBob has gone missing, Sandy forces everyone in Bikini Bottom to help look for him, sending them to dangerous places such as sulfur fields, poison sea urchin coves, and leech farms. (Sandy tells Squidward to think again when Squidward said that SpongeBob is not in his thoughts.) When SpongeBob fails to surface, she grows agitated and starts literally overturning buildings in her efforts to find him. In "Survival of the Idiots," Sandy is shown during her Hibernation as an obese, monstrous version of herself (prior to going into hibernation, animals must have tremendous amounts of body fat and energy reserves in order to survive the winter). SpongeBob and Patrick enter her snow-filled Treedome and disturb her sleep, and the semi-conscious Sandy viciously attacks them, believing them to be "Dirty Dan" and "Pinhead Larry", two outlaws from her dreams.
She has also been shown to have a strong competitive streak and a high opinion of herself: in "Sandy, SpongeBob, and the Worm", she completely ignores SpongeBob's warnings about the Alaskan Bull Worm and tells him that she is "too Texas tough", only to discover the hard way that the Bull Worm is indeed too much for her to handle; in "Pressure", she continuously brags that land creatures are better than sea creatures and nearly drowns herself in an attempt to "prove" it.
Sandy is most commonly seen wearing her suit when she is outside her tree dome. The suit is white, and with a yellow patch with an acorn on it. It also has two red, and a blue ring(s) on each sleeve. The suit comes with a big glass dome (but it doesn't have an oxygen tank) with a pink flower. She also wears boots with one red dot on each boot. When Sandy appears inside the tree dome, she wears purple clothing, primarily a purple bikini top and a purple and green shirt like bottom. In Someone's in the Kitchen with Sandy, when her fur pelt is off, she wears a purple bra and purple panties.
When she is on her exercise hamster wheel she can be seen wearing a white Hoodie and blue workout sweats.
Sandy appears more in the first six seasons than later seasons for an unknown reason. However, she is a main character, like the other nine main characters.
Sandy is smart, athletic and talented and therefore has many skills such as:
- Karate: Of all the characters in the show who practice Karate, Sandy is the best at it, she has green gear.
- Science: Sandy has shown to have a vast knowledge of science, several episodes feature her doing experiments, as the series progressed, she did more and more science.
- Singing: Sandy is a very good singer, the episode Texas was the first time she was shown singing.
- Guitar: Sandy has played guitar while singing several times, also, in the episode Band Geeks, she was the Lead guitarist of the band.
- Lasso: Sandy can throw a lasso very easily, also, in video games such as Battle for Bikini Bottom, she has the ability to throw her lasso to catch or even break things that are far away.
- Gliding: In Battle for Bikini Bottom, Sandy can use her lasso to glide.
- Math: Sandy is seen giving a math lesson to smart Patrick in Patrick SmartPants.
- Holding her breath: Sandy has been seen holding her breath for long periods of time in many episodes, however after a while, she has to find an air supply for herself.
- Inventing: In several episodes such as Chimps Ahoy and What Ever Happened to SpongeBob?Sandy has created many useful inventions using her inventing skills.
- Driving: In the episode To Save a Squirrel, Sandy was shown to drive a boat with the style of a jeep.
- Survival Skills: Sandy has shown to have good Survival Skills in To Save a Squirrel.
- Sandboarding: In Pre-Hibernation Week, Sandy was sandboarding onSand Mountain, also, inMooncation, Sandy was "Moon-Crater Boarding."
- Jellyfishing: Sandy is fascinated by jellyfish, the Employee of the Month (video game) shows her jellyfishing.
Sandy is usually nice, and caring for SpongeBob , and is known to help him out when he's feeling lost as seen in newer episodes, however in older episodes she is shown to be more of a so-called "Kook". For example in Pre-Hibernation Week she is shown to be more crazy than ever. When she forces SpongeBob to play rather dangerous games, thus leaving to SpongeBob to run away. She then forced all Bikini Bottomites (including Squidward) to search nonstop for days on end looking for him. Up to a point when they all ran and hid from her just like SpongeBob.
Another example is in Texas, she cried several times throughout the episode because she missed Texas. SpongeBob and Patrick then made fun of Texas she was offended by SpongeBob and Patrick mocking Texas, and thus she chased both of them down.
- In Texas she chased and tried to beat up SpongeBob and Patrick for "taking the name of Texas in vain".
- In Pre-Hibernation Week, she played extreme sport games with SpongeBob, he then hid from Sandy, and Sandy forced every last Bikini Bottomite (even Squidward ) to look for him.
- In Survival of the Idiots, Sandy beat up SpongeBob and Patrick whenever they woke her up.
- In What Ever Happened to SpongeBob?, she called SpongeBob idiot boy when he accidentally ruined her robot.
- In Someone's In The Kitchen With Sandy, Plankton steals Sandy's fur to get the Krabby Patty Formula. Thus leaving Sandy to chase him down naked. She was then arrested for nudity even though it was all Plankton's fault.
- Most of this is probably because she is from Texas.
- Spongebob: Sandy first met SpongeBob SquarePants when he saw her wrestling a giant clam and ran down to save her. Since then, Sandy has been one of SpongeBob's best friends, and she enjoys various activities such as karate with him. The nature of Sandy's relationship with SpongeBob is somewhat romantic. SpongeBob has brought her flowers on several occasions, and her official biography describes her as being "the apple of SpongeBob's eye (the only thing under the sea he likes better than his job at the Krusty Krab)". In "Tea at the Treedome" amorous music plays when SpongeBob recalls Sandy's words. SpongeBob's song in "Ripped Pants" has romantic lyrics. Many fans believe that SpongeBob and Sandy have crushes on each other. In Frozen Face-Off Sandy sacrifices herself to let the monster eat her instead of SpongeBob, who sacrifices himself to save Patrick, but it ate the jellybeans instead.
In the "A Random Act of SpongeBob" short, SpongeBob leaves Sandy a letter (with a bouquet of flowers) calling her the "smartest, prettiest squirrel in all of Bikini Bottom" for "Surprise Sandy Day". In the video game Battle for Bikini Bottom, after saving Squidward from Robo-Patrick, SpongeBob and Sandy commented each other on a good job while looking flushed. A book called the SpongeBob SquarePants Survival Guide, released on November 1, 2002, has a page titled How to Survive a Secret Crush, saying that if you have a crush on someone, you have to keep it secret. SpongeBob begins to talk about him acting "perfectly natural" at the treedome, but quickly ends, saying "I've said too much!" The biggest hint was in Truth or Square, which depicted the two getting married.
- Mr. Krabs: Sandy and Mr. Krabs don't really talk to each other, however there are a few episodes when they do talk. When they do, they seem to be very nice to each other and they never really fight.
- Plankton: Sandy and Plankton dislike each other. They never have befriended each other, and they fight almost every time they interact.
- Patrick: Patrick and Sandy have an unusual friendship but, when they are seen with SpongeBob they tend to get along very well. However Sandy has numerously been annoyed by Patrick's utter stupidity.
- Squidward: Sandy and Squidward usually get along, however there are times where sandy is angered by him such as in Truth or Square in which Squidward is mistakenly blamed for stealing a Walky talky that Patrick "borrowed".
- Plankton: Sandy tends to dislike plankton, such as in Someone's In The Kitchen With Sandy when he stole her fur to steal the Secret Formula. However they did get along in Perfect Chemistry as she was impressed by his lab.
- Main article: Treedome
Sandy lives in a huge polyurethane dome which is known as the "Treedome". It is air-locked and contains no water, making it the only place in Bikini Bottomwhere Sandy can survive without her suit. Its floor is covered in grass, and features a large tree, which contains Sandy's living quarters. The Treedome also humorously includes a giant hamster wheel, among other backyardish things. As seen in the episodes "Survival of the Idiots" and "Bubble Buddy", the dome produces snow during the winter, from which it can be assumed to simulate other weather patterns as well. As seen in the episode "Wormy", Sandy has many pets residing in her Treedome, including caterpillars, snakes, crickets, mice, and birds, among others.
The company that owns this and many other treedomes is the Tree Dome Enterprises Limited. Its board of directors, a group of chimps, came for an inspection in "Chimps Ahoy." Her old habitat was back home at Texas.
Sandy appears in almost all SpongeBob Video Games usually as a playable character and sometimes (rarely) as a major non-playable character.
- SpongeBob SquarePants: The Yellow Avenger- Sandy makes a minor appearance.
- SpongeBob SquarePants: Operation Krabby Patty- Sandy is an unlockable playable character, you need to jellyfish to unlock her.
- SpongeBob SquarePants: SuperSponge- Sandy makes an appearance as a non-playable character.
- SpongeBob SquarePants: Revenge of the Flying Dutchman- In Revenge of the Flying Dutchman she is a non-playable character who is seen in various parts of Bikini Bottom, first, SpongeBob does Karate with her, then, she needs help clogging up some holes in her treedome and then she needs help getting a beehive out of her tree (SpongeBob thought it was a big acorn), in Downtown Bikini Bottom she needs help disposing some garbage and is later hypnotized by the Flying Dutchman and needs to be rescued along with Squidward, Patrick, Gary and Mr. Krabs.
- SpongeBob SquarePants: Battle for Bikini Bottom- Sandy appears as one of the three playable characters, the other two being SpongeBob and Patrick, she is unlocked in Downtown Bikini Bottom, she also fightsRobo-Patrick when SpongeBob and Squidward are frozen, she also defeats the Flying Dutchman alone, when he refuses to give them a golden spatula, she is an extremely useful character, as she can do karate and use her lasso to glide after doing a double jump, swing from Texas Trailer Hitches and Tie up robots before they even get close.
- SpongeBob SquarePants: Employee of the Month- She helps SpongeBob and Patrick get to Neptune’s Paradise with her Rocket, but when it breaks down, they land in Bottoms Up and it is revealed that she has a friend named Cowfish Craig and knows about Oxygen Springs.
- SpongeBob SquarePants: Lights, Camera, Pants! -Sandy appears as one of the six playable characters, the other five being SpongeBob, Patrick, Squidward, Mr. Krabs and Plankton.
- SpongeBob's Atlantis SquarePantis- Sandy appears as one of the seven playable characters, the other six being SpongeBob, Patrick, Squidward, Mr. Krabs, Plankton, and an Atlantian Guard, her special ability is her lasso.
- SpongeBob's Truth or Square- Sandy appears as a major non-playable character, one of the levels focuses on meeting Sandy in Tea at the Treedome.
- Nicktoons: Battle for Volcano Island- Sandy appears as one of the playable Nicktoons, the others being SpongeBob, Danny Phantom, Patrick, Timmy Turner (along with Wanda and Cosmo) and Sam Manson, this is the only video game where Sandy's Karate Gear appears as an attack.
- Spongebob's Movie Game: Sandy can be seen working on a treadmill with a mind control helmet in the level "Welcome to Planktopilis Minions"
- Oddly (yet somewhat explainable) she's called "Arenita" in the Latin American dub of the series. "Arenita" stands for "little sand" in Spanish, making it an accurate translation.
- In the episode "Scaredy Pants", Sandy dresses as a pet goldfish in a bowl for Halloween (her air helmet being the bowl), which Squidward, ironically, does not understand.
- Sandy was responsible for introducing Christmas to Bikini Bottom. This happened in the episode "Christmas Who?".
- Sandy moved to Bikini Bottom from Houston, Texas, as revealed in The Essential Guide of SpongeBob.
- In the episode "Stanley S. SquarePants", an elderly Scottish relative of Sandy is shown.
- In the episode "To Save a Squirrel", Sandy is shown to have a boatmobile with the design of a Jeep.
- Sandy cries in Ripped Pants, Texas and What Ever Happened to SpongeBob?.
- A package of GoGurt featuring Sandy claims she works for a company called "Tree Dome Enterprises Limited".
- In Season 1, Sandy has three dots on her suit instead of an acorn.
- Sandy's voice actress, Carolyn Lawrence, also voices Cindy Vortex on the show The Adventures of Jimmy Neutron: Boy Genius, who, like Sandy, practices martial arts. However, Cindy practices Tae-Kwon-Do, while Sandy practices karate. She also voiced Ashley Graham in Resident Evil 4.
- Sandy is called "Sandra" for the first time in "Patrick SmartPants".
- In Season 1 episodes, Sandy's tail is not visible when she is wearing her suit in comparison to later seasons.
- Despite being established as a scientist in later episodes, Sandy is oblivious to the basic fact that sea creatures cannot survive without water in her first appearance. Although, it may be because SpongeBob told her that he likes air not knowing that she meant without water.
- She appeared the most in Season 8, having a total of 17 episode appearances and one short appearance.
- In an episode of The Fairly OddParents, the King of Atlantis mentions that his species enjoys eating crabs, starfish and the "occasional underwater squirrel". As he says this, he burps a squirrel tail out of his mouth, this may have been a near-death reference to Sandy (or one of her visiting relatives).
- In the live-action puppet sequence in the episode "Pressure", Sandy is represented by a toy puppet and appears to be naked aside from her helmet.
- It is possible that Sandy knows the Krabby patty formula prior to the episode Karate Choppers, but it may be more likely they were making regular sandwiches in the park.
- In the episode Rodeo Daze it's revealed that Sandy has a twin brother named Randy.
- Sandy appears in the Season 1 Halloween episode, Scaredy Pants. In the Season 7 Halloween episode, The Curse of Bikini Bottom, she doesn't appear. But in Season 8, she appeared in the Halloween special Ghoul Fools.
- Sandy is called "Sandy Squirrel" for the first time in SpongeBob's Last Stand.
- Sandy appears in the Bikini Bottom Adventures DVD cover, but doesn't appear in the episodes.
- Stephen Hillenburg said Sandy should come from Houston because her suit reminded him of an astronaut.
- Sandy is most likely older than SpongeBob due to her height and her high intelligence.
- Sandy inflated in the episode "Bubble Troubles".
- When Sandy cries she flushes her helmet, so she won't drown.
- In the episode "Squirrel Record", it is revealed that Sandy has 100 woodchuck cousins, at least one of which is named Earl.
- Despite being a female, Sandy is most likely the strongest main character. She also could be one of the strongest characters in the entire series.
- Sandy sings in four different episodes: "Texas", "Chimps Ahoy!", "Earworm", and "Rodeo Daze".
- "Back in Texas, we called ice cream Frozen Cow Juice."(No Weenies Allowed)
- "I like you, SpongeBob. We could be tighter than bark on a tree."(Tea at the Treedome)
- "I'm hotter than a hickory smoked sausage!"
- "Don't you have to be stupid somewhere else?"
- "I Love Karate" (Karate Choppers)
- "Stupidity isn't a virus, but it sure is spreading like one."
- "Shoot! Looks like a twister hit this place!"(Wormy)
- "Next time I'll bring more granola!"
- "Don't you dare take the name of Texas in vain!"(Texas)
- "That wasn't funny, SpongeBob; y'all had me worried sick."(Ripped Pants)
- "Doggone it!"
- "You're mince meat!" (Karate Choppers)
- "You're nothing but pure evil... just like newspaper comics.
- "I liked you Patrick better when you were a barnacle head!"(Patrick SmartPants)
- "SpongeBob's actin' jumpier than a rattlesnake in a pickle barrel! Wait, what?"(No Weenies Allowed)
- "He always folds his clothes before running around... in the NUDE! Something TERRIBLE must of happened to him!!!"
- "Back in Texas, I wrangled bulls, and I wrangled worms. As far as I'm concerned, doin' em together just saves rope."
- "What in tarnation?!"(The Gift of Gum)
- "SpongeBob! Where are you?!?"
- "I sure wish I had a fancy telescope. One that works underwater. That'd make me happier than a junebug at a porch light sale".
- I'll be over there faster than a barefoot jack rabbit on a hot greasy griddle in the middle of August!"(Suds)
- "Why don't you say that to my behind; that is, if you can catch it!"
- (IN SONG) "Wish I were back in Texas. The ocean's no place for a squirrel. Wish I was in Texas, perr-tiest place in the world, Oh No! I know that deep in my heart, I'll always be a Texas girl."
- "Howdy y'all!"
- "SpongeBob of all the crazy things, why would you wanna live among the jellyfish? They're cold and mean and none too bright!"(Nature Pants)
- "Which one of you fellers is the REAL Dirty Dan?" (Survival of the Idiots)
- "Holy Guacamole!"
- "If ya'll want to be my friend, just be yourself!"
- "It must be fascinating being a sea critter!"
- "I'll be there faster than a barefoot jackrabbit on a hot greasy griddle in the middle of August..."
- "Spongebob, you’ve been messing with the bull now you get the Horns!(Texas)
- "You ain't my pa!"(Spongebob Sandy and the Worm episode)
- "Boy I can't wait to warm my fur in the sun"(Survival of the Idiots)
- "How about S for save our skins!"(Spongebob, Sandy and the worm")