- SpongeBob SquarePants
- Patrick Star
- Larry the Lobster
- Goo Lagoon beachgoers
- Incidental 14 (named Annette)
- Harold "Bill" Reginald
- Monroe Timmy
- Nat Peterson
- Billy the Orca (debut)
- White Fish
- Sadie Rechid
- Martha Smith
- Nathiel Waters
- Nancy Suzy Fish
- Jimmy Gus
- Harold (red fish)
- Isabelle Fish
- Tina Fran
- Dennis Rechid
- Sheldon (fish)
- Vera Fishbowl
- Old Man Walker
- Billy (lime fish)
- Frank (muscular goldfish)
- Jennifer Millie
- Sea monster (Goo Lagoon) (debut)
At Goo Lagoon, SpongeBob and Patrick are sunbathing. SpongeBob remarks on how cool Larry the Lifeguard is, and SpongeBob fantasies how cool it would be if he was a lifeguard, and Patrick doesn't agree it would be very cool if he ever was one. SpongeBob then says that he's just as cool as Larry, and "if I'm not, let me be struck by - (thunder crashes) - a flying ice cream truck! (shadow falls on him) AND LIVE!" Larry helps him up when the truck falls on him and notices vanilla ice cream on his nose. Thinking that it's sunscreen, and that therefore he is a lifeguard, he offers SpongeBob to help him with his lifeguard duties. As a lifeguard, SpongeBob becomes very popular and does many fun activities. However, when Larry hears Bill drowning and saves him, SpongeBob realizes that being a lifeguard is much more than giving them ice cream, and sitting in a tower, but it also means you have to guard other people's lives. Larry suddenly leaves for a tanning booth, leaving SpongeBob, who can't swim, in charge of the beach. SpongeBob then fantasies all the fish dead in a grave in the water, and then alerts all the fish with an emergency that's not even going on in the water. When everybody asks, confused, what the emergency is, SpongeBob, forgetting that Sharks are sea animals too, makes up the emergency as a Shark Attack. Then a shark family announces that they are the ones he is referring to. Then he announces there is a sea monster, but a sea monster then comes in a nice way, after explaining, he slaps SpongeBob with his tail fin, and everybody then believes that there is no emergency.
SpongeBob begins panicking when he sees everyone playing in the water in a dangerous way, such as people splashing each other, people water skiing on top of each other, two kids playing with a ball inside of Billy the killer whale's mouth, and Frank throwing Scooter into a rock. SpongeBob then lures everyone out of the water with ice cream. After they eat it, he tells them that they now have to wait one hour before going back in the water and binds them with Police tape. Thinking that everyone is safe, SpongeBob settles down to relax. However, the beach guests get upset at this and one fish announces that Larry is a better Lifeguard than SpongeBob is. SpongeBob announces that he gave them ice cream, and Larry never did. But Patrick, mistakenly looks for ice cream after SpongeBob says "ice cream" through a megaphone, crosses the tape after he sees the words on it as "Ice Cream", when it really is "Do Not Cross", and goes into the water, where he gets cramps and starts drowning. When other fish get alerted to this, SpongeBob initially refuses to believe that someone is drowning, but he eventually sees Patrick and tries to find a way to save him without going in the water. He reaches Patrick using a boatmobile he "borrowed" from the parking lot, but Patrick destroys it and they both start drowning. Larry then comes back and "saves" them from the ankle deep water. "Spongebob?" asks Larry. "Yes, Larry?" replies Spongebob. "You're not a lifeguard, are you?" the lobster asks the sponge. Spongebob replies, "No, Larry." Then the lobster takes the two of them off. At the end of the episode, Larry is seen teaching the two how to swim, and they both get butt cramps, and Patrick still don't heve his ice cream.
- Dramatic Impact 2-Thunder crashes.
- Dramatic Impact 1-A shadow of an ice cream truck falls on SpongeBob.
- Stars and Games- Plays during the episode.
- Saxaboogie-SpongeBob is a life guard
- Dramatic Impact 3-"Patrick isn't drowning!"
- Dramatic Cue G -SpongeBob and Patrick start drowning.
- When Larry lifts the board with the people on it, two of them fall off face first.
- The old man who Larry tells to leave (and who is implied to be Larry's father) reappears in a later scene.
- When SpongeBob raises his arms to call the people for ice cream, he never lowers his arms as he gives it to them.
- After everyone at the Goo Lagoon go back into the water, two shark fins are swimming around a beachgoer, despite the fact that the only sharks mentioned were an actual family of them, inferring that SpongeBob was right about there being sharks. Although it might have just been the shark family swimming like real sharks.
- When the crowd is looking up at the lifeguard tower when Spongebob calls everyone out, Annette doesn't have any hair. It is not Evelyn, however, because in the next shot and for the rest of the episode, Annette has her hair back.
- SpongeBob's nose changed color everytime Patrick hit him with the anchor.
- When SpongeBob sees that Patrick is drowning, he breaks the lens of his binoculars. After Patrick finishes shouting, the lens were back.
- When Patrick comes out of the Port O Head, there's toilet paper on his shorts. When he gets near the lagoon, the toilet paper is gone.
- In scene when Larry saves Bill, crowd of fish are worried. But in a crowd was Bill.
- When SpongeBob hands out ice cream, White Fish is shown with a pink ice cream. In the next shot of him, the popsicle is white.