- SpongeBob SquarePants
- Patrick Star
- Eugene H. Krabs
- Sheldon J. Plankton
- Squidward Tentacles
- Sandy Cheeks (2 cameos)
- Robot Krabs (last scene)
- Nancy Suzie Fish
- Old Man Jenkins
- Martha Smith
- Karen (1 cameo)
- Krusty Krab
- 124 Conch Street
- 126 Conch Street
- Guppies 'R' Us
- Mail Post
- Downtown Bikini Bottom
- Chum Bucket
The episode begins with a shadowy figure that looks like Plankton opening a safe that has the Krabby Patty formula in it. SpongeBob turns the light switch on, and then it reveals it was just Mr. Krabs checking to make sure that the secret recipe is still safe and that Plankton did not try to steal it yet. He has not tried to steal it in a month, so he must be planning something big. Squidward had just entered the office said, "Hello", and when Mr. Krabs asked one of his employees will have extra work, Squidward left the room saying "Good Bye", leaving SpongeBob to do the work as being a spy to follow Plankton to see what he's up to (in this scene, SpongeBob makes a parody of the gunbarrel sequence, from Patrick's straw). Then Patrick hollered that he also wanted to become a spy. Mr. Krabs gave them a Patty that will tell them that their assignment is to follow Plankton to see what his plans are. If they don't get gadgets and if he doesn't take it, they're fired.
SpongeBob and Patrick go to Sandy's tree dome to ask her about spying, and Sandy shows them spy equipment. SpongeBob was excited to use the equipment, but Sandy refused to let them use any of them, as she felt they would just mess it up and then Patrick uses the knockout gun to knock Sandy out and they take the equipment.
They started following Plankton , and it is revealed that Plankton buys Baby Clothes and has to buy stamps for mail. They tell Mr. Krabs everything but later that night, SpongeBob and Patrick are on the rooftop of the Chum Bucket trying to get inside by using the laser pants to make a hole for them. Plankton thought that they came in late at night to eat when Mr. Krabs wasn't around. Patrick tells SpongeBob that he REALLY has to go to the bathroom and he can't hold it in. Patrick also says that his laser pants aren't working right. As he keeps on trying to hold it in, some lasers shoot out of the laser pants making holes in the walls thus destroying the Chum Bucket.
Angry, Plankton sends a giant blimp to the Krusty Krab. Mr. Krabs thought that night had came early, but Squidward points to Plankton's blimp. When Mr. Krabs tells everyone to get into their positions, Squidward runs into the men's bathroom. Plankton pushes a button that starts playing annoying music that makes the customers leave. Mr. Krabs says that if he wants his customers, he can have them. He sucked them into a giant cannon, and shot at the blimp using the customers and, unfortunately, Squidward. Unluckily, the attempt failed, as the customers always bounced off the blimp. SpongeBob tells Patrick that it's all up to them to save the Krusty Krab, but Patrick jumps off the blimp and accidentally lands in the cannon, which fires him right at the blimp, causing it to pop. The restaurant blows up as well.
Plankton, now having the secret formula in hand, laughs and states "I WIN! I ALWAYS WIN!", but SpongeBob reminds him that he always loses. Plankton corrects SpongeBob that he always wins and that it was really Mr. Krabs in disguise. The other Mr. Krabs was actually a robot controlled by Plankton. Mr. Krabs and Plankton did a bet that if Mr. Krabs disguised himself as Plankton so he can steal the Krabby Patty formula better than him and if the Chum Bucket gets destroyed, Plankton would pay him a dollar. After Plankton gives money as part of the bet, Patrick yells at them to stop and rips his skin off showing that he is Squidward. SpongeBob asks that if he's Squidward, than who is the other guy? Just as SpongeBob tries to pull off the other guy's mask, he was trying to tell him that he wasn't wearing a disguise, and that he was the real Squidward. He takes his ripped face back, they then continue to take off disguises, and Sandy shows up and says that it's the wrong disguise, then SpongeBob appears. SpongeBob takes off his disguise and Patrick appears. Then both of them return to their real selves, then SpongeBob tells Mr. Krabs that he is confused that there are two Patricks, and they both started laughing.
- Patrick: Hey, SpongeBob! I can see you through this straw!
- Mr.Krabs: He's taking all me customers away, All right Plankton you want my customers so badly (Starts sucking them into a giant cannon) You can have them! (Starts shooting them at the blimp)
- Plankton: Do your worst, Krabs!!
- Squidward: (After being shot from the cannon) I hate my job.
- Patrick: Not so fast! (Then rips off his skin and turns into Squidward)
- SpongeBob: (Surprised) Squidward?! Then, then who are you?
- Squidward: I'm not...(SpongeBob rips the skin off Squidward's face) wearing a disguise!
- Patrick: I wanna be a spy, too!
- SpongeBob: In my hands...ooh!
- Lady in Patrick pants: Please deposit 25 cents if you would like to make a call.
- SpongeBob:(pulls out a quarter)
- Guppies R Us is the parody of Toys "R" Us.
- When SpongeBob is seen walking inside the dot (when Patrick was looking through the straw), it is a parody of James Bond. SpongeBob walks into the dot onscreen and spins around with his spatula in hand. In James Bond, Bond walks into the dot (which is a gun-barrel pointed at him), spins around and shoots the screen.
- The Krabby Patty with the taped message on it, and self-destructing, is a parody of the TV series Mission Impossible.
- The episode title was going to be called SpyBob but later it was changed to Spy Buddies.
- Dish Network still refers this episode as SpyBob.
- The password to Krusty Krab was: 2684
- The locker combination to the safe was: 30-5-20-0
- In the beginning of the episode, it appears that Plankton knows the code to the Krusty Krab and the vault combination, but then it turns out to be Mr.Krabs. However, In the end of the episode, Plankton turns out to be Mr.Krabs in disguise and Mr.Krabs is revealed to be robot Krabs being controlled by Plankton. This means that Plankton actually does know the code and vault combination, it seems that he only knows them in this episode.
- The Secret Formula: (x-2)+1=Krabby Patty as seen on the page of the secret formula after "Plankton" says "I always win."
- The reason Patrick rejects Plankton's food (bran muffin, prune danish) is because they are laxatives and Patrick had to use the bathroom.
- Running Gag: SpongeBob and Patrick screaming about their spy identities.
- This was the twelveth time the Krusty Krab is destroyed.
- It is revealed that Plankton has to buy baby clothes.(Size -5)
- You can see SpongeBob and Patrick's spy boatmobile that is a parody of Batman's Batmobile in this episode.
- The song used for the title card is used for Action League NOW! for the credits.
- Music from Karate Island, Wigstruck, New Leaf, The Thing and Friend or Foe can be heard at the end.
- On Mr. Krab's calendar, it starts with Monday and ends with Sunday.
- List of Spy Gadgets:
- High-Power Magnifying Glass
- Jet Packs
- Bermuda Shorts (resembles Patrick's shorts)
- Microscopic cameras
- The Knock-Out Ray (Sandy's favorite)
- if you play it frame by frame you can see in the cloud that the Krusty Krab isn't destroyed.
- The Nickelodeon schedule calls this episode SpyBob.
- The two background music shots were heard in the credits Roll in Action League Now!
- If you look closely, when Patrick blows up, when he speaks his feet are skeletal, but when pulls his pants up they're normal.
- SpongeBob said Plankton bought some baby clothes but he walked out of the store with nothing.
- Throughout this episode, the Krusty Krab sign has black writing and is a bit darker.
- The scene when SpongeBob and Patrick were ordering at the Chum Bucket was VERY similar in a few scripts in the comic "Dinner at Sandy's"
- This is the third time Robot Krabs appears. The first was Imitation Krabs the second appearance was New Leaf, however Robot Krabs gets destroyed in the episode, Imitation Krabs.
- 40th episode with its name in it.
- Before the plot of this episode was revealed, people believed that SpongeBob would finally get his license
- Patrick's pants laser comes out of the butt.
- Also, when Squidward says that it isn't Mr. Krabs eyes going, but that it is "that time of the month." Its a reference to a woman's cycle.
- The scene where both SpongeBob and Patrick panicked after the radio message is set to be blown up in 30 seconds is similar to the Mission Impossible movie.
- When SpongeBob first enters the Krusty Krab it is night, but when Patrick says "I wanna be a spy to!" it is day.
- After Patrick makes the hole in the roof of the Chum Bucket,you can hear a farting sound for a split second.
- When Plankton (Mr. Krabs in disguise) is in the blimp and plays that song, Plankton, (Mr. Krabs) is actually driving his own customers out of his restaurant.
- One of the scenes from this episode is where when SpongeBob and Patrick are walking behind Plankton, Plankton yells at them in high-pitched gibberish and the two have no idea what he's saying, but in earlier episodes, SpongeBob and Patrick can understand what Plankton says to them.
- Unless the laser pants were wired to Patrick's behind, there's no way they'd make him have to go to the bathroom, and there's no way his flatulence would have caused them to fire.
- There's four explosions
- Patrick's legs
- Chum Bucket
- Krusty Krab
- If Plankton saw that whole scheme, shouldn't he just use the same plan again to get the formula?
- How can Mr. Krabs fit in that tiny Plankton costume?
- Mr. Krabs and Plankton can both mimic each other's voices.
- After this episode, Plankton was most likely sued for agonizing people against their will.
- After Plankton (Mr. Krabs) lifts up the blimp, the foundation of the Chum Bucket is much bigger than normal. That also reveals that there is another floor of the Chum Bucket.
- This episode presumably takes place after "Karate Star" due to Patrick having a twin, just like at the end of "Karate Star."
- But, at the end of the episode, SpongeBob doesn't understand why there are two Patricks.
- When Mr. Krabs is opening the safe, it is night. But when Patrick screams "I WANNA BE A SPY TOO!!", it is day.
- After Patrick destroyed the Chum Bucket with lasers, it was night. But when they were lying on the ground after that, it was daytime.
- Spy buddies is loosely based on the 1983 comedy film Trading Places.
- Guppies R-Us is a parody of Toys R' Us/Babies R' Us
- When Patrick sees SpongeBob via straw is a reference to James Bond where he does a similar manner except Bond draws a gun and shots the screen
APM music identification
- James Blond - Title card; Appropriately, when SpongeBob appears in the 007 credits parody.
- The Dreadnought Tea Clipper (b) - "Just makin' sure the Krabby Patty formula is safe."
- Secret Service - "Your mission, should you choose to accept it..."; "To the Spymobile!"
- Off to Play - "...buying baby clothes?"
- Brutal (b) - "Secret mission, eh?"
- Cell 501 - "Oh, can't you go later?"
- Beauty Parade - The music that makes Krusty Krab's customers leave ("Oh, brother. I hated the real version of this song!")
- Brutal (a) - "Merciful Neptune!"
- Keel Row - "You see, we had a bet."