Steven Ralph "Steve" Schirripa (pron.: //, Italian pronunciation: [skirˈripa]; born September 3, 1957) is an American stand-up comedian, actor, producer, voice artist, and author. He is best known for playing Bobby Baccalieri on The Sopranos. Schirripa is currently the host of Nothing Personal, a regular cast member of ABC Family's The Secret Life of the American Teenager, and the voice of Roberto in the Open Season franchise. He has also done commercials for Lamisal and Dick's Sporting Goods.
Schirripa was born Steven Ralph Schirripa in Bensonhurst, Brooklyn, New York. His father Ralph was Italian American. His grandparents Ilario Schirripa and Maria Capacci came from Riace, Italy and his mother is Jewish. He was educated at Brooklyn College.
Film and television work
While working in Las Vegas, Schirripa landed a role as an uncredited extra in the Martin Scorsese classic Casino. He played a customer at the bar in the infamous scene when Joe Pesci's character angrily stabs a man with a pen. After this, Schirripa decided that he wanted to become an actor. He had several minor roles in movies, including The Runner (1999) and Joe Dirt. His breakthrough role was in The Sopranos (2000), playing Tony Soprano's dense but likable mobster brother-in-law Bobby Baccalieri for 6 seasons.
His many television appearances include Angel, Casino Cinema, Star Trek: Enterprise, Hollywood Squares, Joey, Law & Order, Law & Order SVU, My Wife and Kids, Ed, Jeopardy!, George Lopez,Tim and Eric Awesome Show, Great Job! and The King of Queens. Schirripa recently appeared on CBS's primetime game show Million Dollar Password. Furthering his game show enthusiasm, Schirripa appeared on the game show Pyramid helping contestant Scott Zinser win $10,000. He also made an uncredited appearance, along with fellow Soprano star Vincent Pastore, on the 6th Season episode of Aqua Teen Hunger Force entitled "She Creature".
Schirripa was a frequent guest on the Don Imus radio program. In February 2007, he began to make appearances for Total Nonstop Action Wrestling, on Spike TV, siding with Team 3D as their cousin in their ongoing battle against The Latin American Xchange. On October 30, 2007, he appeared on, The Podge and Rodge Show. He is also currently doing spots as "Steve the Judgmental Bastard," on The Tonight Show with Jay Leno, and has recently taped several episodes of, The Gong Show with Dave Attell, as one of the celebrity judges.
Since 2008, Schirripa has had a recurring in the ABC Family show, The Secret Life of the American Teenager, as Leo, the main character Ben's dad. Secret Life has being renewed for a fourth season, to start in Summer 2011.
In 2009, he made a cameo appearance alongside fellow Sopranos actor Frank Vincent in Stargate Atlantis episode "Vegas". Recently, he was in My Fake Fiancé with Melissa Joan Hart andJoey Lawrence as the Monkey.
Schirripa was also the co-host on NBC's Today Show during its' fourth hour with Kathie Lee Gifford, as Hoda Kotb was out. This occurred the week of July 17. He has appeared on the Tonight Show more than 40 times as a guest and as a correspondent. Schirripa hosted NBC's poker game show, Face the Ace, with the premiere episode airing on August 1, 2009.
In the Fall, 2010, Schirripa had a guest star role in the digital comedy short film, "Lil DPC," from writer/director Michael Ratner, which also features Rapper Fat Joe and Blink 182's Mark Hoppus.http://www.lildpc.com
Schirripa is the host and narrator of the television true-crime series Nothing Personal, which premiered in the U.S. on Investigation Discovery and in the UK on History. The series features true stories and reenactments of murders-for-hire. In addition to hosting the hour-long programs, Schirripa is one of the program's executive producers. The programs were filmed on location around the United States and in Ontario, Canada.
Schirripa now resides in New York City with his wife Laura Schirripa, and their 2 daughters Bria and Ciara. He played basketball at Brooklyn College, where he was captain for two seasons. Before getting into acting, he worked on the Las Vegas Strip as the Riviera entertainment director.
He is an avowed New York Yankees fan.
- 1995 Casino as Man in Bar (uncredited)
- 1997 Highway to Vegas as Bodyguard #1
- 1998 Denial as Best Man
- 1998 Chicago Hope as Security Officer
- 1998 Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas as Goon
- 1998 Welcome to Hollywood as Entertainment Director Riviera Hotel
- 1999 The King of Queens as Maitre'd
- 1999 Speedway Junky as Security Guard
- 1999 Detroit Rock City as Beefy Jerk #2
- 1999 The Runner as Host
- 1999 The Debtors as The Crapsman
- 1999 Pensacola: Wings of Gold as Tony (Credited as Steven Schirripa)
- 1999 Angel as Benny
- 1999 Play It to the Bone as Party Guest
- 2000 Battery Park as Anthony
- 2000 The Flintstones in Viva Rock Vegas as Croupier
- 2000 Kiss Tomorrow Goodbye as Male Cop
- 2000 Big Sound as Russell
- 2001 See Spot Run as Arliss (Credited as Steven R. Schirripa)
- 2001 Alex in Wonder as Steve
- 2001 Joe Dirt as Hood (Credited as Steven Schirripa)
- 2001 Black Scorpion as Collector #1
- 2002 Monday Night Mayhem as Sal
- 2003 Columbo as Freddie (Credited as Steven R. Schirripa)
- 2003 George Lopez as Tommy Durango (Credited as Steven R. Schirripa)
- 2003 Law & Order: Special Victims Unit as Paulie Obregano (Credited as Steven R. Schirripa)
- 2003 My Wife and Kids as Insurance Salesman
- 2003 Ed as Sandy Buckman
- 2003 High Roller: The Stu Ungar Story as Anthony
- 2004 Law & Order as Frederico Libretti
- 2004 What Are the Odds as Tony
- 2004 Star Trek: Enterprise as Carmine (Credited as Steven R. Schirripa)
- 2004 Joey as The Pit Boss (Credited as Steven R. Schirripa)
- 2005 Duane Hopwood as Steve (Credited as Steven R. Schirripa)
- 2005 Justice League as Cecil (voice)
- 2005 Must Love Dogs as Vinnie (Credited as Steven R. Schirripa)
- 2005 Meet the Mobsters as Tony (Credited as Steven R. Schirripa)
- 2000–2007 The Sopranos as Bobby "Bacala" Baccalieri
- 2007 The Podge and Rodge Show
- 2008 A Muppets Christmas: Letters to Santa as Mobster
- 2008 The Replacements
- 2008 Open Season 2 as Roberto (voice)
- 2008–present The Secret Life of the American Teenager as Leo Boykewich (Credited as Steven R. Schirripa)
- 2009 Stargate: Atlantis as Poker Player #2
- 2009 Circledrawers as Human Protecter
- 2009 The Hungry Ghosts as Frank
- 2009 Ugly Betty as Frankie Burrata (Credited as Steven R. Schirripa)
- 2009 Aqua Teen Hunger Force as Terry's Partner (voice, uncredited)
- 2009 My Fake Fiancé as The Monkey (Credited as Steven R. Schirripa)
- 2009 Face the Ace
- 2009 Jordon Saffron Taste This! as Louie
- 2009 Brothers as Louie
- 2010 Hereafter as Cooking Teacher "Carlo" (Credited as Steven R. Schirripa)
- 2010 The World of Richard P. Cummings Jr. as Richard Cummings Sr.
- 2010 Open Season 3 as Roberto (voice)
- 2011 Kill the Irishman
- 2011 Nothing Personal - host and executive producer
- 2012 Aqua Something You Know Whatever as Dante
- 2013 Nicky Deuce as Uncle Frankie
- 2013 A Poet Long Ago as Sonny Rosselli