|The Abrasive Side|
|Season 7, Episode 146a|
|Air date||November 27, 2010|
|Written by||Luke Brookshier|
Enchanted Tiki Dreams
- SpongeBob SquarePants
- Patrick Star
- Squidward Tentacles
- Eugene H. Krabs
- Sandy Cheeks
- Gary the Snail
- Larry the Lobster
- Grandma SquarePants
- Howard Blandy (cameo)
- Pearl (voice only)
- Harold (Major cameo)
- John (2 brief appearances)
- Abracadavre (characters) (debut)
- Pilar (voice cameo)
- Downtown Bikini Bottom
- SpongeBob's House
- Sandy's Treedome
- Krusty Krab
- Glove World (mentioned)
- Shoe Store
- Grandma's House
SpongeBob is waiting at the bus stop to go to Glove World. He promised Patrick that they would be first in line, and to be first to get on the bus. Then a lot of fish come and cut in front of him. Patrick comes and asks SpongeBob why he is not first (like he promised). Sandy comes and ask SpongeBob for him to do "Operation Acorn Smoothie". Patrick goes to Glove World without SpongeBob. After that, he goes back to the bus stop, then Mr. Krabs asks SpongeBob to say no to Pearl about the new shoes. He then goes back to the bus stop and helps Grandma SquarePants cross the road. Patrick returns and tells SpongeBob that sometimes he just has to say no, then asks SpongeBob to scratch his back. He is shown at his house crying. Gary then goes to a catalog and orders something for SpongeBob. The package arrives and says "Abrasive Sponge". He sticks it on his back. He goes out and Pilar asks him to carry his groceries for him. His body switches 180 degrees, showing the abrasive side and says "Carry it yourself, fish-face" for SpongeBob. He does the same for Larry the Lobster, Grandma, and Sandy. He then goes into the Krusty Krab, then Mr. Krabs asks him to do a seventeen hour extra shift. SpongeBob says yes, but then his abrasive side says no, unless Mr. Krabs pays for overtime. Mr. Krabs goes to his office to look up the meaning for "overtime" - then is shocked that SpongeBob could use such a disgusting word. He goes home and Squidward says not to annoy him. SpongeBob's abrasive side says the complete opposite that SpongeBob would normally say, then Squidward gets happy and hugs him, saying: "You don't know how long I have waited to hear those words." Patrick says it's time for their play-date. SpongeBob talks and so does his abrasive side, confusing Patrick, eventually scaring Patrick into believing that SpongeBob's face is haunted. SpongeBob goes into his house to the bathroom and stares into the mirror, and realizes whats wrong - that his abrasive side is getting out of control. He asks Patrick and Mr. Krabs for help, but his abrasive side gets the best of him. He goes to Sandy for help, then explains what happened and why he got an abrasive side. Sandy then rips it off his back, while SpongeBob holds Patrick, then is shown with intense pain for a short while as Sandy rips the abrasive side off. Sandy puts it in a box labelled "Return to sender" and puts it in the mailbox. The green skin growls. SpongeBob then remembers to go say sorry to Grandma. He goes, then it turns out that Grandma has got an abrasive side now too, much to Spongebob's horror. Spongebob screams for the rest of his life.
- This is the third time SpongeBob gets or acts mean. The first was in "Plankton!", and the second was in "Walking Small". However, the reason for him becoming mean does not have to do with Plankton, as it did in the previous two episodes.
- This is the third appearance of SpongeBob's grandma after "Grandma's Kisses" and "BlackJack". Her fourth appearance would be in "Pet Sitter Pat."
- This is the third appearance of Glove World after "Rock Bottom" and "Roller Cowards." The fourth would be "Tunnel of Glove." Then it's last appearance is "Glove World R.I.P. "
- The abrasive side is a lot like a symbiote in Marvel comics, especially Spider-Man. It is organic, it makes one abrasive, it is very difficult to physically part with, it refers to itself as we, etc.
- When Pearl cries, her tears leaves puddles. When SpongeBob's Grandma asks to help her cross the street, the puddles disappear.
- The scene where Squidward said "You don't know how long I've waited to hear those words!" is sped up in the promo, most likely to shorten the promo.
- SpongeBob tells Squidward that he wouldn't hang out with him for all the money in Mr. Krabs's mattress. This is possibly a reference to the episode "The Lost Mattress", since that episode reveals that Mr. Krabs keeps his money in his mattress.
- This is the fifth episode where Mr. Krabs tells SpongeBob not to come back. The first was in "SquidBob TentaclePants", the second was in "Bummer Vacation", the third was in "What Ever Happened to SpongeBob?" and the fourth was in "Stuck in the Wringer".
- Howard Blandy makes a cameo appearence standing in front of SpongeBob in line.
- SpongeBob's Abrasive Side speaks with a sterotypical New Jersey accent.
- This is the second time that Pearl's voice was heard but she was not seen.
- This episode has a similar premise to Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde and The Mask.
- Patrick's eyebrows dissappear for a fraction of a second when he is about to show his half-gone finger.
- This is the third time Patrick was called "tubby." The first time was in [[No Weenies Allowed,] and the second time was in SpongeBob Meets the Strangler.
APM Music Identification
- City Dash (performed by Harry Lubin) - The beginning
- Drama Link E - Pearl's tears flooding the streets
- At The Zoo - SpongeBob helps his Granny cross the street
- Hawaiian Cocktail - SpongeBob crying because he couldn't stand up for anyone
- Dancing the Hula - Gary makes a phone call for delivery
- Befuddled Gent - Industrial Size Abrasive Sponge is delivered to The Pineapple
- Here We Go Round The Mulberry Bush (performed by Harry Bluestone) - "I've got an abrasive side"
- Spindlelegs - "Hey, Grandma"
- Befuddled Gent - The abrasive side insults Grandma
- A Jolly Jaunt (a) - SpongeBob visits Sandy
- Shock Headed Peter - The abrasive side insults Sandy
- The Tip Top Polka/Cliff Polka - Opening shot of the Krusty Krab
- Dramatic Impact 3 - Mr. Krabs screams
- Synopsis (performed by Frank Harlow) - Squidward hugs SpongeBob
- Sneaking About - The abrasive side insults Patrick
- Cloak and Dagger (performed by Phillip Green) - Patrick cries
- Harry the Hippo - "Don't you remember"
- Cloak and Dagger - SpongeBob gasps
- Unsettled Menace (performed by Phillip Green) - "Help me get this abrasive side off my back"
- Steel Licks - Mr. Krabs is shown still reading the dictionary
- Dramatic Bridge 1 - "Mr. Krabs! Mr. Krabs!"
- Dramatic Impact 6 - Mr. Krabs gasps
- The Drunken Sailor - Mr. Krabs kicks SpongeBob out
- Tragic Bridge 2 (Performed by Phillip Green) - SpongeBob goes to Sandy for help
- Vibe Sting - "Huh!"
- Watch Out! - "Who he is just stinks!"
- Drama Link B - Sandy removing the abrasive side off SpongeBob's back
- Spindlelegs - SpongeBob visits Grandma
- Shock (f) - Grandma's abrasive side insults SpongeBob
- Tympup A/Hawaiian Sting - SpongeBob screams