Maybe after The Battle of Bikini Bottom
- SpongeBob SquarePants
- Patrick Star
- Mermaid Man
- Barnacle Boy (without voice)
- Store Clerk
Spongebob wanted the rare Mermaid Man and Barnacle Boy card like Patrick's card #54.
Spongebob is first seen getting money from "Quincy" who works at the bank Spongebob goes to. He gives Spongebob his money, but Spongebob is very picky on what money to give Mermaid Man and Barnacle Boy. SpongeBob is at the comic book and card store. He is there to buy Mermaid Man & Barnacle Boy cards. He opens a pack and finds four cards whom he thinks are valuable but the store clerk tells him they are worthless and that there is one valuable card called the No. 54 card. There are only 5 of them in existence. SpongeBob frantically attempts to buy as much packs as possible to find the card, but is unsuccessful. With only one pack left in the store, SpongeBob reveals that he has no more money. Patrick decides to buy the last pack, which coincidently, ends up containing the No. 54 card. SpongeBob follows Patrick home, trying to protect the card from Patrick's carelessness. (Falling from a construction beam, mud from the bus hitting a mud pile) When they get home, Spongebob asks Patrick if he could have it, Patrick asked if he could have it one more day, until sundown. He uses the card to unlock his house (after his landlord changed the lock again) cook burgers and then wipe his face. Spongebob begins crying, and when Patrick asks what is wrong, he says that card was a very rare one, and he just destroyed it. Patrick says he'll get it some day, but Spongebob explains that he bought the last pack. Mening that there were no more packs left in all of Bikine Bottem until the new shipment comes(jujing by his crying the shipment must take along time). Patrick then reveals that he has several other No. 54 cards that were also in the pack he bought and gives the four other cards to Spongebob, who is happy. But then, he has to use one of them because he locked himself out of his house again.
- This episode is number 19 in Tom Kenny's Top 20 on iTunes. His description says:
"As a collector of weird old stuff - records, comic strips, anything Popeye - I like how this episode gets into the fanatical mindset of hardcore collectors. The desire to possess that 'certain item' and then to keep it in 'mint-plus' condition can take over the mind. And the sight of a non-collector handling 'the grail' improperly ..."*This is the second time Patrick used his barbecue grill. His barbecue grill was first seen in Naughty Nautical Neighbors. Third will be Patrick's Staycation.
- When SpongeBob says: "Card #54, where are you?", he refers to the sitcom "Car 54, Where Are You?"
- Patrick getting jump from construction site and land in fire as seen American Reality show Fear Factor.
- SpongeBob is once again a neat freak in this episode, while Patrick is very dirty and careless about filth. The first being in "The Battle of Bikini Bottom".
- When Patrick shows SpongeBob the four #54 cards, the second one he's holding doesn't show a giant fist punching Barnacle Boy.
- Patrick says he doesn't believe in pockets, but at the end of the episode the other 4 talking cards are pulled out of his pocket.
- At one point when Patrick looked at Spongebob, it revealed that Patrick is sometimes color blind.
- Patrick says he has a landlord, but in Home Sweet Pineapple he says he built his home, but it is unknown which tale is true. Patrick could have put his house up for sale and he rented the house. However in New Fish in Town he says he would be a landlord when Howard came. The landlord could have sold the house to Patrick prior to this episode.
- The store clerk said there are five #54 cards in existence, it's a reference to "Charlie and The Chocolate Factory" as there were only five golden tickets.
- This episode has some similarity to Charlie and the Chocolate Factory, where SpongeBob (Charlie) is searching through card packs (chocolate bars) to find the rare card (golden ticket). Also, Patrick saying "I don't even believe in pockets" is a possible reference to Wayside School is Falling Down, where a hobo says "I don't believe in socks".
- The person who kicked SpongeBob out of the bank was the robber.
- All of the 5 rare cards were in the same pack but had no other cards while the other packs had more than 5 cards.
- The shopkeeper said the rare cards was just only five. However, its actually six, one in the shop, one in Patrick's then four on Patrick's other cards.
- 55th episode with its name in it.
- How Patrick destroyed the card: he picks the card with his teeth, puts the card in the folds of his back, wrinkles the card by trying to open his house, cleans his grill by scraping it with the card, catches the card on fire, spits on the card, uses it as a plate, then wipes his face with it like a napkin.
- The episode name is similar to the season 1 episode, "The Paper".
- Patrick tells Spongebob in this episode, "You can't always expect my usual brand of stupidity." Implying that Patrick is aware that he is stupid.
- Once again, the title card with the word "The" is the same thing they use for Cartoon Network's "The Amazing World of Gumball" and NBC's "Seinfeld" for every episode and the show F.R.I.E.N.D.S . The first one they use "The" was in "The Paper".
- It's almost like Patrick tried to destroy the card on purpose, due to his stupidity
- The part where Patrick was "listening" to Spongebob (mumbling everything he said except for his name) was very similar to an episode of "The Potter Puppet Pals" (an internet puppet show about Harry Potter), where Harry ignored everything Snape said except for his name.
- The Ultra Rare Card number 54 may be a refrence to pre-release Raichu. An Ultra Rare Card from Pokemon Jungle.
APM Music Identification
- Adventurers - #1: SpongeBob opens the first pack of Mermaid Man & Barnacle Boy trading cards.
- Arizona Fanfare - #1: The retailer showcases Card #54.
- Monocle and Pocket-Watch - #1: "This one is just a display. If you want a real one, you have to buy as many packs as you can and hope you get lucky."
- Adventurers - #2: SpongeBob opens the second pack of Mermaid Man & Barnacle Boy trading cards.
- Monocle and Pocket-Watch - #2: A montage of SpongeBob buying and opening more Mermaid Man & Barnacle Boy trading card packs.
- Arizona Fanfare - #2: "Mermaid Man says..." (punch) "...Buy more cards!"
- Drama Link (d) - SpongeBob screams.
- Mists of Illusion - Patrick in a trance.
- From the Dead - "I can't let anything happen to that card! Mermaid Man and Barnacle Boy would never forgive me! PATRICK, WATCH OUT!"
- The Jitters - #1: A shot of a moving boat-mobile and a pool of mud.
- Drama Link (g)- SpongeBob jumps in front of the card to avoid the mud.
- Dramatic Cue (a) - Patrick walks to Goo Lagoon.
- Dramatic Cue (b) - Patrick walks across a planted girder and falls.
- Dramatic Cue (g) - SpongeBob rescues Patrick with a crane.
- Epic Struggle - "*gasps* The super rare and priceless Mermaid Man and Barnacle Boy trading card! Patrick, where is it!? WHERE IS IT!? Dear Neptune! You didn't put it in your pocket, did you!? It's getting all bent up! BENT UP! BENT UP!! BENT UP!! BENT-BENT-BENT-BENT UP!!"
- The Jitters - #2: Patrick keeps burning Card #54.
- Tomfoolery - Patrick serves dinner to SpongeBob.
- On The Beach - The sun sets.
- Arizona Fanfare - #3 distorted.
- Arizona Fanfare - #4: "Mermaid Man says..." (punch) "...Buy more cards!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!