|The Curse of the Hex|
|Season 7, Episode 141a|
|Air date||June 11, 2011|
|Written by||Aaron Springer|
Welcome to the Bikini Bottom Triangle
The Main Drain
Time Cards Shown:
- Many Hours Later
- Eugene H. Krabs
- Squidward Tentacles
- Madame Hagfish (debut)
- SpongeBob SquarePants
- French Narrator
- Giant golden eel (debut)
- Krusty Krab Customers
One stormy night while Squidward, SpongeBob and Mr. Krabs are about to leave the Krusty Krab, an old hagfish, named Madame Hagfish appears at the door of the Krusty Krab. Squidward is afraid of her and tells her that the Krusty Krab is closed, but she ignores him and orders. She attempts to convince Squidward to give her a Krabby Patty but he refuses, because it was closed and she didn't have the right and/or enough money (She has 3 seashells). After various attempts to make her leave SpongeBob whispers to the Hagfish. The Hagfish then leaves and claims that they haven't seen the last of her. Mr. Krabs questions SpongeBob on what he whispers and makes a joke, SpongeBob laughs suspiciously. Later, when the Krusty Krab closes, SpongeBob secretly goes behind the Krusty Krab to give The Hagfish two delicious Krabby Patties before being caught by Mr. Krabs. It is revealed that that was what SpongeBob whispered to The Hagfish. Mr. Krabs yells at SpongeBob and takes the patties. The Hagfish becomes furious and supposedly puts a curse on the Krusty Krab before flying away. SpongeBob becomes very worried about this but Mr. Krabs says that it is a bunch of nonsense. The next day, Mr. Krabs watches out the door the whole day and there are no customers. He says he has a funny feeling about the so-called curse. A plate then falls from the attic of the Krusty Krab. It startles Squidward, making him drop his coffee and starting a fire, burning much of Mr. Krabs' money. Mr. Krabs and SpongeBob then set out to try to find the Old Hag in hope that she would lift the curse. It takes them many hours to find her but they find a covered wagon that she lives in. Mr. Krabs begs for her to lift the curse. She agrees on a compromise. If they can find a sacred golden doubloon from the deadly golden eel. They find the eel, who is sleeping, and they try to get it from him but SpongeBob trips, thus waking him up. The doubloon flies off the eel and Mr. Krabs catches it. They get it to The Hagfish, who uses it for her laundry machine. The Hagfish agrees to lift the curse and takes the closed sign from the Krusty Krab front lawn. Many customers then show up at the Krusty Krab. Inside the Krusty Krab, Mr. Krabs again says that there is no such thing as curses, or witches, or magical sea creatures. As the episode ends, the Krusty Krab begins shaking, the electric eel pops up from underground scaring away all of the Krusty Krab's customers.
- The original name for this episode was "Hagfish Hex," as seen on some of the original character storyboards on Facebook. To take a look, click here.
- SpongeBob is easily able to knock the Giant Golden Eel out with a single punch. This might be because the Golden eel was weak.
- The people who had umbrellas were whisked away by tornadoes. A fish who forgot his umbrella was left unharmed.
- This is the second episode where Krabby Patties come out of SpongeBob's paycheck. The first is "Pickles."
- The hagfish's money is somehow based on real life ancient societies that once
- used shells and beads as currency.
- This episode aired online before it was on TV. It could have been seen as one of "Spongebob's Legends of Bikini Bottom" by entering the code "Booty".
- This is the first episode where something from the attic of the Krusty Krab has come into play
- When SpongeBob and Mr. Krabs park the car at Madame Hagfish's house, it is near the parking sign. But when they got the golden doubloon, the car disappears.
- Although this episode aired on TV during Season 8, it is still considered part of Season 7. (Possibly because it was available on the Legends of Bikini Bottom DVD before it aired on TV)
- This is part of Legends of Bikini Bottom, but it was aired in June. (not with Legends of Bikini Bottom)
- When this episode aired on TV the first time, it didn't have the book opening.
- It can be viewed as similar to Stephen King`s Thinner.
- Madame is also pronounced to other cartoons like Madame Upanova from 1940's Disney Classic Film Fantasia, and the butterfly from 2001 TV Series Oswald.
- If you listen closely the part where Madame Hagfish was trying to get in the Krusty Krab her voice sounded like Dee Bradley baker.
- It is not known how Mr.Krabs discover SpongeBob's plan to give Hagfish free Krabby Patties, but it can be assumed he either eavesdropped or used the security camera or his butt looked suspicious.
- The curse was actually a closed sign planted in front of the Krusty Krab.
- It is also odd that SpongeBob or Mr. Krabs didn't notice the sign since they were outside the Krusty Krab after Madame Hagfish left.