SpongeBob and Patrick are seen running and screaming. They run into Sandy, explaining that a beast is chasing them. The "beast" is really a grasshopper from the surface. SpongeBob and Patrick notice that Sandy is packing food, water, dynamite and tents in her jeep. SpongeBob and Patrick asks why she's packing. Sandy explains that she is packing for a camp in the wilderness. SpongeBob and Patrick ask if they could come and Sandy says no because the camp is dangerous. When Sandy gets in her jeep, SpongeBob and Patrick sneak in her trunk to go to her camp. SpongeBob and Patrick fall out of the jeep when they are on their way there. The good news is that they fall out with food, water, and a tent. They are in the wilderness. SpongeBob tells Patrick that he will set up the tent while Patrick starts a campfire. When the tent is set up, Patrick is finished with the campfire. SpongeBob then noticed that Patrick didn't make a campfire, he burned their food. SpongeBob tries to put out the fire with the tent, but that just set the tent on fire. He pours water on it which makes it go out. SpongeBob drinks the remaining water. By now, SpongeBob and Patrick burned their food, ruined their tent, and lost their water. Then they notice a cave. They go in the cave and find an old man. The old man explains that they are stuck in the cave now and that he was there for over 40 years. SpongeBob and Patrick try to make shelter. SpongeBob is then convinced that Patrick wants to eat him. The old man explains to SpongeBob to eat Patrick before he eats SpongeBob. SpongeBob and Patrick then make attempts to eat each other. The old man is impressed, and he then reveals that he is really Sandy. Sandy then gives SpongeBob and Patrick survivor badges. SpongeBob and Patrick suddenly got an interest of eating Sandy. The episode ends with Sandy saying "Next time I'll bring more granola."
- The line "eat or be eaten" said by the old man is a reference to Jack London's White Fang.
- It's revealed that Sandy has an underwater jeep and that her treedome has a back-garage. It's possible that she keeps her jeep in her garage.
- This episode was paired up with a rerun of Gone.
- This episode was set to premiere with "Stanley S. SquarePants" but aired with "The Inmates of Summer" instead.
- The mud replica of SpongeBob's pineapple has disappeared in the end.
- The title may be a reference to the Alfred Hitchcock film "To Catch a Thief".
- This is the second time SpongeBob and Patrick have been scared of an insect. The first time was in Wormy. It's actually the third time Spongebob has been scared of an insect. The second time was in Sandy, SpongeBob, and the Worm. It's actually the second time Patrick has been scared of an insect.
- In SpongeBob's flashback, it's revealed that Squidward has voo-doo dolls of SpongeBob and Patrick.
- Despite its title, ironically, neither SpongeBob nor Patrick actually saved Sandy.
- Plot Hole (literally): The old man said that SpongeBob and Patrick where going to be stuck in the cave forever, although you could see that they could have easily escaped through the huge, unblocked entrance to the cave.
- Even though Patrick burns their food, they have a sponge cake, carrots, two pieces of bread, an olive and a bottle of ketchup. They could have eaten all of that instead of trying to eat each other despite the "eat or be eaten" slogan.
- First time the nuts from Sandy Cheeks appears also with SpongeBob's bedroom.
- If SpongeBob and Patrick are so hungry, then how come they didn't use the sponge cake, the soup, the carrots, the giant bread, or the ketchup?
- This is the second episode where it falsely appears that Patrick is eating SpongeBob. The first time was in The Smoking Peanut.
- This is the first time Patrick gets a beard. The second time will be in Pineapple Fever.
- When SpongeBob checks to see if Patrick wants to eat him, the compass on his rock disappears.
- When SpongeBob runs away from Patrick for the first time, Patrick's rock disappears.
- When SpongeBob jumps out of the soup/stew, the bath beads (carrots) disappears.
- Patrick's "Golden spongecake" Is probably a reference to twinkies.
- According to fans, this is one of the worst episodes in the series. Plankton's Regular, Gone, New Leaf,Krusty Plate and The Thing are also said to be the worst episodes in the series.
- In this episode, Patrick burned the food supplies because he didn't red the sign said, "Do Not Burn!!" and he can't find any firewood.
- This is one of the many few episodes in which almost every event has an ironic twist.
APM Music Identification
- Flight in Panic 1 - SpongeBob and Patrick run away from the monster.
- Abject Terror - "SpongeBob and I are being chased by a savage beast!"
- Dramatic Cue (b) - The mountain Sandy's driving on is upside down.
- Drama Link (d) - #1: SpongeBob and Patrick scream, fall from the truck, and land back in.
- Sliding Down -
- Death Trap - #1: SpongeBob & Patrick fall out of the jeep again and are stranded in the wilderness.
- Drama Link (g) - "Quick! Quick! Cover it over something!"
- Drama Link (d) - #2: "...we have this cave all to ourselves."
- Comic Walk - SpongeBob, Patrick realize that they're going to be stuck in the cave forever.
- Marching To Honolulu - "I'll build myself a new home."
- Terror by Night - The old coot warns SpongeBob about Patrick.
- Dangerous A - SpongeBob confronts Patrick.
- Cliffhanger 2 - "It's all true! Patrick is going to eat me! What should I do!?"
- Fear 2 - SpongeBob hides in the mud replica of the Krusty Krab away from Patrick.
- Death Trap - #2: SpongeBob cooks Patrick's hand
- Fear 1 - Patrick runs away from SpongeBob.
- Dramatic Impact 5 - "CARROTS?! You're making soup out of me