|Season 8, Episode 174a|
|Air date||April 10, 2012|
|Written by||Aaron Springer|
For Here or to Go
- SpongeBob SquarePants
- Patrick Star
- Squidward Tentacles (cameo)
- Gary the Snail
- Thaddeus (cameo)
- Nat Peterson
- Martha Smith
- Snail Bites Company Worker (debut)
- Lifeguard Fish
- Pet Store Employes
- Daniel the Snail (debut)
- Pat the Snail (debut)
After SpongeBob watches a TV ad at the Krusty Krab about Snail Bites, a new snail treat, he goes to the store to buy some for his pet snail, Gary. At his pineapple house, SpongeBob gives Gary a Snail Bite. Gary likes the treat, so each time he does a trick, SpongeBob gives him a Snail Bite. Lots and lots of Snail Bites later, SpongeBob runs out of treats. But Gary wants even more!
Gary meows all night for some more snail treats. SpongeBob gets slightly annoyed, so he tries to ignore Gary's meowing. That doesn't work, so SpongeBob takes Gary to the pet store in the middle of the night to see if there are any more Snail Bites. When they find out the store is closed, SpongeBob gets very tired, so he sleeps on the sidewalk, with Gary continues to meow. 80 "meows" later, SpongeBob wakes up. When he sees the cashier unlocking the pet store, SpongeBob then asks if there is a box of Snail Bites. The cashier tells him that they sold out almost immediatly, which leaves Gary meowing very loudly. SpongeBob tries to leave for work, but Gary won't let him leave. So he tricks Gary into slithering towards the kitchen and runs for it.
When SpongeBob goes to work, he is making patties. Gary enters the Krusty Krab, tracking slime all over the customers. SpongeBob is suprised (and a little angry) and yells at him. Gary meows at him, telling him the he wants more Snail Bites. A customer makes a suggestion to SpongeBob, that if he wants Snail Bites, he should go to factory where they make them. SpongeBob thinks that's a great idea, so he and Gary go to the factory.
A worker tells SpongeBob and Gary that they're closed, the last box of Snail-Bites shipped out days ago, they ran out of ingredients to make them, and the owner quit the business completely. Gary then tells SpongeBob (in snail talk) that they should look all around the world, to see if they have any more Snail Bites. After looking around, SpongeBob gives up, leaving Gary meowing. Patrick asks why Gary keeps on meowing. SpongeBob explains that Gary wants more treats and they're aren't any more. Patrick tells SpongeBob that he should tell Gary "no" in a firm voice. SpongeBob doesn't want to "say no to his widdle Gare-bear". He tries to say no to Gary, but Gary distracts him with photos. SpongeBob tries again to say no to Gary, succeeding. Gary then nods and goes to bed, leaving SpongeBob relieved that he doesn't have to hear meows for the rest of the day. Meanwhile, Patrick eats his last box of Snail Bites. Once he runs out he starts meowing like Gary.
- Error: When SpongeBob and Gary are in the Krusty Krab, for a brief second the spiral on Gary's shell is purple and the dots are red. This also occurs in Planet of the Jellyfish.
- Running Gag: Gary meowing, and SpongeBob saying "Well I just can't say no to my little Gare Bear."
- It is revealed that Gary's full name is "Gary Wilson Jr.", even though in a few episodes it is said his full name is "Gary the Snail." While Patrick's last name is Star, Gary's last name should also be Star due to the fact that Gary's father and Patrick's father share a common father. The name of Gary's father was Sluggo, not Gary Wilson. However, he may be named after his grandfather.
- Gary meows more in this episode than in any other episode.
- When SpongeBob goes to the pet shop on the deserted island, Twitch from "SpongeBob vs. The Big One" can be seen.
- The statue Gary created to get another treat was an allusion to Perseus defeating the giant sea monster.
- When SpongeBob goes to the viking town, some vikings from Dear Vikings can be seen.
- In Russia, the pet store is spelled ПЭТ СТОРЭ, which in the cyrillic alphabet translates to PET STORE.
- At first, it may seem like Gary is going through withdrawal symptoms (as though Snail Bites were addictive), but it's revealed that he was just responding to not being told "no".
- Since Gary can at times be smarter than SpongeBob, it's odd that he wouldn't figure out that meowing would accomplish nothing since all the Snail Bites were gone.
- In this episode we get to see what Gary looked like when he was a baby.
- Though it seems SpongeBob has a hard time saying no, he's been firm with Gary before: In Gary Takes a Bath, he was determined to get Gary to take a bath, and didn't put up with his sass back. In A Pal for Gary, he scolds Gary for being unfriendly to Puffy Fluffy (oblivious that Puffy Fluffy was trying to kill Gary). In Pizza Delivery, SpongeBob firmly said no to Squidward on several occasions.
- This episode proves once again that SpongeBob has a hard time saying no. The first time was in The Abrasive Side.
- When Gary bowls a strike to get a Snail Bite, its is the second time a character is seen bowling. First is on Frankendoodle.
- This is the first new time Moloka'i Nui (a) played since it was used as the title card music for a season 5 episode, Picture Day, which premiered on August 2, 2007.
- The company worker puts an S between the C and the L, although there's no S sound between the C and the L. He also put a Z between the S and E, but the S in CLOSED makes a Z sound. The worker isn't that good at spelling.
- Goof: When SpongeBob puts down Gary, one of the dots on Gary's shell disappears.
- The man in the trail with the deep voice is a possible reference to the TOBUSCUS! intro.
- When SpongeBob is trying to go to sleep and Gary keeps him up, SpongeBob's eyes look similar to the ones on the InSPONGEiac title card.
- This is the third time Patrick eats snail food. The first was in Have You Seen This Snail? and the second was in Pet Sitter Pat.
- Funny, both of these episodes also feature Patrick and Gary as the main characters.
- This is another time where the episode's name is metioned within the episode itself. In this case, Gary wrote "TREATS" on the wall in snail slime.
- This is another one of the newest SpongeBob episodes to show the Krusty Krab with SpongeBob and Squidward and without Mr. Krabs. The other is Oral Report.
- At the beginning of the Snail Bites commercial, there was an allusion of PAC-MAN.
- The scene where SpongeBob and Gary travel on an airplane to the pet stores all around the world for Gary's Snail Bites is an allusion of the Indiana Jones movies.
- One of the tricks Gary does is a refrence to the famous magician,Houdini since Gary unlocks himself from a bunch of chains all done in a glass box full of water.
Associated production music
- Unknown Hawaiian Sting 4 - Title card.
- Unknown Hawaiian Sting (g) - SpongeBob in front of his house.
- Unknown Hawaiian Sting 6 - SpongeBob comes home with Treats.
- Unknown Tracks 11 - Montage of Gary working for Treats.
- Drowsy Reef - SpongeBob go's to bed.
- Drama Link (d) - Gary writes Treats with water.
- Cellar Search - Gary meows loudly.
- Drama Stings- SpongeBob tries to say no.
- Kamakani B - SpongeBob tells Gary that there are no more snail bites in the entire world.
- Moloka'i Nui A - The ending.